Sony MDR-V150 Headband Headphones - Black Reviews

Sony MDR-V150 Headband Headphones - Black

Not amazing, but better than the price tag suggests.

Feb 4, 2010

Pros:The price is insanely good; sturdy cable; sleek model design.

Cons:Cord is way too effing long.

The Bottom Line: --

I've been running them all through my head, the massive list of headphones that I've used throughout the time as a music lover-- aka my whole entire life. But around the end of high school, I started to really concentrate on music technology. Five dollar ear buds to cram into my ears just weren't going to cut it anymore, and tinny quality isn't something that I particularly find to be attractive. And since then, I've been able to pretty much remember which headphones I was using, but I admit that I'm still learning about them and how they function. I'm not as well-versed when it comes to them as I am with mp3 players and music itself. But to date, I've tried some sets from some bigger names like Bose and Sennheiser. And for every decent pair of headphones, there are about 50 cheap pairs from crappy brands like Coby and Skull Candy. And then there are many budget options that you could look at. Most stores now do a pretty good job of having selections from the lower end to the middle of the kinds you need to keep behind glass. Sony is one of those brands you can find anywhere. The do-it-all (but not so well) company has been manufacturing headphones, mp3 players, gaming consoles, and televisions for years; that said, their reputation isn't as well respected in the tech community, and I would never buy a laptop from them. But they do have some middle of the road products that don't entirely suck the big one, and their MDR-v150 headphones are a sweet deal.

These headphones have very understated and sexy looks. The headband feels cheap and plastic, but after using them for months, I never had a problem with it's construction. The headphones don't give much in the way of bend or folding, but they do look okay. The solid black finish works out really well when you're out and about in town, particularly when you have darker hair. The design of the headphones is slender than it may look in the box, and when they are actually on the head, they rest semi-flat against the side of your head. This leads to a very unobtrusive look with the entire product in dark, matte black with just silver plates reading "Sony" with their classic logo. But there is an issue with this design if you plan on using these headphones around town, which I always did. The earcups themselves were comfortable enough, and the padding is fine for the pricing. It's cheap feeling, but that's not my biggest issue. My issue is the cord, which, if you're not using these with a Hi-Fi, is just going to get in the way of what you're trying to do (particularly when you try to, oh... walk). This cord, which is sturdy and designed to withstand being jostled around a backpack or purse, is about the size of Russia. A normal cable hangs around to where the knees are, giving the device on the other end enough length to rest easily in the pocket. This cord, when in the pocket, creates a massively long loop on the side of your pants, which is prone to getting stuck on counters and door knobs. While the problem was temporarily fixed by taping parts of it together or binding them with a rubberband, they didn't last very long. The cord is protected by a thick rubber, and the rubber caused my make-shift binders to fall off or entirely fall apart.

At this point, it all comes down to the quality of the music, which is any reason to buy or not buy a pair of new headphones. Well, that and price. These headphones retail for 15 to 25 dollars, and trust me, they do not sound it. While they don't sound stellar, nor do they do anything to prevent outside noise, they certainly sound more expensive than they are. There is sound leakage when using these headphones, but usually just when you have your mp3 player cranked up to a high volume and are in a quiet place. But on a loud commuter rail or walking through the city, the most others around you will hear is an inaudible whizzing of sound. The bass on these is mediocre, but it's still decent for just a dirt-cheap price; the other ranges sound decent as well. Rock music is clear enough, and hip hop/pop/electro sound slightly more hollow. But even so, it's not so bad as to warrant a low rating. These headphones have a cheap build (though quite sturdy), and the material used for the ear cups fray after a few months of heavy, continuous (mobile) use. But for the price, the sound quality is sugary sweet, and Sony could get away with charging a heftier amount. At this price, you don't get any bells and whistles-- no adapters or anything like that; but the extra long cord could also be considered a pro. Though Sony releases a lot of absolute s h i t that should be sent straight to Hell, the MDR-v150s are no chumps, especially for their price.

DESIGN [4 Stars]

jWIN iLuvs (I353BLK)
Bose On-Ears
Sennheiser CX200s
Sony MDR-v150s

Foxnovo Replacement Soft Foam Ear Pads Ear Cushions for SONY MDR-V150 /V250 /V300 Headphones (Black)