Pros:Comfort. Exceptional clarity and placement. Professional studio monitor
Cons:Large. Relatively heavy.
The Bottom Line: This is a unit for pro recording studios, or people who want to enjoy the full detail of their music and who have suitable components to properly drive these phones.
Just the facts:
Recommend this product?
1) If you want exceptional sound characteristics. If you want to hear every flaw, and every harmonic in a piece of music, these are super headphones.
2) If you want maximum isolation from ambient noise, these are super headphones (and also if you need isolation of sound from the headphones ie recording through a mic). But be warned, that due to the excellent sound isolation, they can tend to get warm inside the ear cup due to lack of air flow. If used in an air-conditioned environment, this should not be a problem.
3) If you are looking for uncoloured, true sound, these are super headphones.
4) If you have a large (wide head), these are probably the most comfortable headphones you can find at any price (yes they also fit small heads very nicely).
5) If you want headphones for jogging, don't consider these these headphones.
6) If you need headphones you can listen to for hours, without a headache, due either to poor fit, or poor sound, these are super headphones.
7) As for my personal view on portability. They are as small as you can get for a pair of phones with these types of features. If you want or need jogging phones, then buy those, however, don't interchange the names or applications. Personally, I do take them with me on trains, and planes. I find the isolation qualities of tremendous benefit. I can listen to detailed music with lower volume, than I would with open ear design phones.
8) Some reviewers found these headphones boomy. If this is the case, I suggest they need to upgrade their source device, or amplifier. These units are very precise, however, such precision can only be achieved with excellent input signals. If I plug these phones into a headphone jack on a mixer, the sound quality is vastly inferior (yes boomy) compared to audio from a mid end pre-amp. It's important to understand that simply because something says Studio-Monitor on it, that it will likely not sound like a Studio Monitor, playing through DJ equipment, which is designed to overemphasize bass response. Even worse are walkmans which boost their bass response in order to compensate for small, bass deficient tiny little headphones.