Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (DVD, 2005, 2-Disc Set, Widescreen) Reviews

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (DVD, 2005, 2-Disc Set, Widescreen)

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - Anakinís Epical Descent Into Evil

May 20, 2005 (Updated May 24, 2005)

Pros:dark, intense, fast lightsaber duels

Cons:the love dialogue between Anakin and Padme's a little off

The Bottom Line: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - Best Movie of 2005

When the Phantom Menace was released in 1999, nearly 20 years after the Return of the Jedi, no one knew very much about it. The only thing really known was that it would introduce Anakin Skywalker, the future Darth Vader. Then Attack of the Clones came out in 2002, and we were introduced to an older Anakin, though nothing else was really known about his descent into evil. Not many people really knew what was going to happen in Episode’s I and II. With Episode III, we finally get to see Anakin’s final lap with the Jedi and the birth of Darth Vader. Everyone that has at least seen any of the Star Wars movies would know this, but it’s how Anakin turns to the dark side that paints the scale of Episode III.

It’s finally here. May 19, 2005. The epic conclusion of the first three episodes, and the dramatic birth of Darth Vader. I didn’t get to see the 12:01a.m. showing, but I still got to check it out opening night after a grueling 3 1/2 hours at work (funny how 3 1/2 hours seems like 6-7 when all you do is load boxes in trucks). A lot of critics bashed the crap out of Episode’s 1 and 2 and with good reason now that I’ve come to almost completely comprehending the entire sextet. I liked them then, and even now that I realize the faults in them, I still like them almost the same. I’m sure that there are bound to be spoilers abroad if you haven’t seen any of the movies or haven’t seen Episode III yet. So beware.

Revenge of the Sith starts out in a hectic battle over Coruscant. The Clone Wars introduced in Episode II: Attack of the Clones are raging on to the beginning of a bottleneck conclusion. The evil robotic General Grievous has kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid), and the camera pans in on two fighter crafts weaving in and out of massive amounts of chaos. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) and Anakin (Hayden Christensen) are piloting those crafts, and they’re trying to reach General Grievous’s ship so that they can rescue Chancellor Palpatine. They rescue Chancellor Palpatine, but General Grievous still gets away, and so the clone war still continues on. When they return to the Coruscant, the chancellor asks Anakin to serve as his personal representative in the Jedi Counsel. Being good friends with the chancellor, Anakin accepts, and later he is accepted into the Jedi counsel. Mace Windu (Samuel L. Jackson) believes that Anakin’s mind is too clustered for him to become a master, and so he is not granted the status of Jedi Master.

Naturally, Anakin’s enraged by this. How can he be on the counsel, yet not be a master? The Jedi fear that the chancellor is up to something though, and so they ask him to spy on him for them. At the same time, the chancellor has asked him to spy on the Jedi and brief him on any plans that they might have to overtake the Republic. Anakin is torn by these decisions, and the darkness that is starting to shroud him is seen in his eyes and his facial expression. While Obi-Wan is sent on a mission to discover Grievous’s hiding place and kill him, Anakin is being misled by the chancellor about the Jedi and their intentions. The cool thing about Grievous is that he uses four light sabers. With a light saber in each of his mechanical arms, the fight between Grievous and Obi-Wan is phenomenal. What I don't like is that Obi-Wan only uses one light saber, meaning the amount of cool moves that he could do were limited because of it. If Lucas had Obi-Wan with two lightsabers, the fight between him General Grievous would have been a lot cooler.

At the same time that all of this is going on, Anakin cares for one thing - his wife Padme (the beautiful - Natalie Portman). If you remember the end of Attack of the Clones, there is a scene where Anakin and Padme are married in secret on Padme’s home planet, Naboo. Because of Padme’s political status and Anakin’s vow to the Jedi, they cannot profess their marriage in public at all. That might not be that hard at first, but throw in the fact that Padme’s pregnant, and things will get tricky. Lately, Anakin’s been having premonitions of Padme dying in child birth. They are the same ones he had about his mother before she died, and so Anakin is panicking about Padme and swears to do anything to protect her.

The dark side of the force is strong, but it doesn’t take much for Anakin to be tricked into thinking that he can for sure save his wife by becoming a dark lord. Even after he was starting to be good, Anakin all of a sudden vows to become the evil Sith Lord’s dark apprentice after killing off one of his own Jedi mentors, and from here all hell starts to break loose. The clone troops start to turn on the Jedi, and soon Anakin follows the path that leads to his ultimate demise.

Transformation on an Epical Scale
There may have been some mystery about what Episode’s 1 and 2 would be about, but there is no mystery in Episode III. Anyone who has followed Star Wars will know that Darth Vader is finally created in Episode III. Anakin’s betrayal of the Jedi is a transformation of malicious and epic proportions. The fact that the betrayal takes place is a given, but the epical sense of how Anakin becomes Darth Vader is too much for the eyes to handle. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith has the best visuals out of all of the movies and easily ranks up with the best overall movie visuals in the industry. Evil and darkness isn’t going to be cheery, and Episode III sets the tone perfectly.

Episode III is the only film to receive a PG-13 rating, though it was rightfully justified. While there is no blood really, Revenge of the Sith is full of malicious battles and scenes that may actually make certain people squirm in their chairs a little bit. Episode III easily has the best light saber combat than any of the other movies in the sextet, and the climatic battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi climbed it’s way up with the top most beautiful fight scenes ever.

Episode III has so much action it makes Episode’s 1 and 2 look like boring soap operas (sorry, I don’t consider getting it on with someone’s brother’s sister’s mom’s boyfriend’s kid’s friend exciting, no offense to any soap fans). Right from the start, the battle over Coruscant, Mace Windu’s duel with Chancellor Palpatine, Yoda’s second light saber duel, and eventually Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi’s on the volcano planet. George Lucas tried to tie mostly all of the loose ends between Episode III and Episode IV: A New Hope, which included the introduction of the planet Kashyyk and the Wookies that inhabit it (we‘re introduced to Chewbacca, but sadly not Han Solo), as well as how Anakin’s children, Luke and Leia, are split apart to grow up living different lives. A lot of the tie-ins to the beginning of Star Wars: A New Hope seemed to have been added as filler, and would have been interesting if they had been woven into the story more. With the wookies, we only see Chewbacca in a few scenes, and his name isn't even mentioned until Yoda is leaving Kashyyk.

I like a lot of the symbolism used in Revenge of the Sith. After reading many fan reviews on the movies, some people mentioned the fact that Anakin and Obi-Wan both use a blue light saber in their fight at the end of the movie. I thought that the blue lightsabers looked awesome hitting each other with the same color, and with Anakin using it still I thought that it symbolized a part of the good side of him before he truly became Darth Vader. Whether or not George Lucas had that in mind when he had them use the same lightsabers, but I liked it. When Anakin is in meditation with Yoda telling him his premonitions of Padme dying, the shadows from the blinds cover Anakin and Yoda's faces. That may seem just ordinary to some people, but I took it as a representation for Anakin's confusion about his loyalty, and the evil that is twisting his mind. Also, Master Yoda and his fight with the sith lord in the senate room paralleled the political influence in the clone wars and the end of the Republic. I really hope that I was not the only one that kind of put the two together. One of the first things that I thought when the center pillar was being raised into the room with Master Yoda and the Sith lord fighting, was how much that fight symbolized the fall of the Republic.

Hayden Christensen Can Act!
The love plot from Attack of the Clones was kind of cheesy, but Hayden Christensen really improves his character in Episode III. His lines with Padme weren’t very inspired, but the emotions he had as he turned to the dark side are priceless. Hayden was able to portray the pure evil that turns Anakin into Darth Vader very effectively, and I appreciated it the most in his battle with Obi-Wan Kenobi. Ewan McGregor does a great job reprising his role as Obi-Wan, and his battle with Hayden at the end of the movie is just...amazing. Ewan and Hayden have a nice chemistry in Episode III, and it was easy to start to feel passionate about their characters. Even though I already knew Anakin’s fate, I couldn’t help but feel for Anakin. Throughout the whole movie I was thinking to myself, “come on Anakin, don’t let your love blind you, follow your heart, not the Sith, come on!” Corny may be a word to describe what I was thinking during the course of the movie, but the emotion created a passion for the characters.

Overall
Malicious. Evil. Dark. Maleficent. Classic. Epic. Amazing. Climatic. All of those words explain one thing or another the feelings pulsing through my body about Episode III. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is a very good conclusion to the masterpiece that began in 1977 with Star Wars: A New Hope and ends now with the release of the final movie. The scale of the movie is so exhilarating I had to take a deep breath before the movie even began and before most of the big battle scenes. The majority of Episode III is non-stop action with only a few minutes in between that deal with politics and love. Even with Anakin and Padme’s relationship being more important than ever, Episode III rarely strays away from the action. I was literally on the edge of my seat throughout the big fight scenes, and afterwards all I could do was sit back and say “Wow, am I really watching this?”

If you still haven't got your Star Wars fix, check out these reviews:
Episode II: Attack of the Clones (DVD)

The Force is with us in EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH, the final chapter of the six-part STAR WARS series, which began a long time ago (1977) in a ...