Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (DVD, 2005, 2-Disc Set, Widescreen) Reviews

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (DVD, 2005, 2-Disc Set, Widescreen)

The Lure of the Dark Side: Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith.

May 18, 2008 (Updated Feb 9, 2011)

Pros:It continues the brilliant vision of Lucas, tieing the first and second trilogies together.

Cons:Some performances could have been stronger.

The Bottom Line: What ever criticism you want to make about any individual Star Wars movie, they are still better than 90% of all things out there.

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) Directed by George Lucas.

Yoda: “Premonitions, premonitions. These visions you have...”
Anakin Skywalker: “They are of pain, suffering. Death.”
Yoda: “Yourself you speak of, or someone you know?”
Anakin Skywalker: “Someone.”
Yoda: “Close to you?”
Anakin Skywalker: “Yes.”
Yoda: “Careful you must be when sensing the future Anakin. The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.”
Anakin Skywalker: “I won't let these visions come true, Master Yoda.”
Yoda: “Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is.”
Anakin Skywalker: “What must I do, Master Yoda?”
Yoda: “Train yourself to let go... of everything you fear to lose.”

Good advice, and if only Anakin had taken it, we would not have the next three movies.

Revenge of the Sith is on of the hardest movies for me to watch, because you know what is coming, and it is so grim. It is like watching a home movie of a birthday party, when you know the next day, the house and family were blown away by a tornado.

Anakin Skywalker continues his path towards the dark side. Padme is pregnant, and that represents the end of both their careers. But something even more horrifying looms on the horizon; Padme is doomed to die in childbirth.

Using the lure of forbidden Dark Side techniques that could save her, Chancellor Palpatine tantalizes him, using political appointment as his liaison; he honors him, and drives a wedge between him and the ruling council. The Masters agree to allow him a seat, but they do not confer on him the title of Master. This wounds his pride.

And when at last, the confrontation comes, Anakin must choose between Mace Windu; a man he respects, but does not believe trusts him, or Palpatine, who promises to save Padme. And when he saves Palpatine, the line is crossed, and Anakin becomes a Sith, Darth Vader.

From there, it is just a steady dive into evil. Rage rules, and all moral guidelines fall before the power of the Dark Side.

It was long for told that one would come to bring balance to the Force. The Jedi are numerous, and eschew violent emotion. The Sith always number two, a Master and an Apprentice. Well, Anakin did bring the Force into balance, because when he was done, there were two Sith, Darth Sidious and Darth Vader, and two Jedi, Master Yoda, and Master Obi Wan Kenobi. So, now, the Force is in balance, at least numerically.

This movie is the darkest of the entire Saga. It has the highest body count, at 115. There are numerous amputations. (Only the Phantom Menace does not have someone getting a hand cut off…here we have Anakin taking Mace’s, Anakin loosing another, and Dooku loosing both.) It nicely sets the stage for the Rebellion of A New Hope. If I had to live for 18 years under that regime, I would be ripe for rebellion as well.

A friend of mine was complaining that politics does not work that way, that no one could just walk in and assume the role of leader when there were so many questions about how they got the power. I asked her where she had been since the Election of 2000. Lucas deliberately lifted many of the speeches of Palpatine from Hitler. When you want to do it right, go to the source.

The movie continues the high production value of the rest of the Republic Era trilogy, with amazing visual effects and a top notch score that transport you to a galaxy, far, far away.

This review is Lean-N-Mean, a style coined by Sleeper54 to promote concise writing. It has 641 words.

May The Force Be With You.

The New Frontier: Younglings.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season One
Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season Two

Check out the other completely different Clone Wars cartoons.
Star Wars Clone Wars Volume One. and
Star Wars Clone Wars Volume Two.

Check out these Star Wars Novels:

Check out these Star Wars Comics:
Tag and Bink Were Here
Jango Fett: Open Season.
Rites of Passage
Star Wars Rebellion: My Brother, My Enemy.

Check out my reviews on Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.
Commencement
Flashpoint.
Days of Fear, Nights of Anger.

Check out the Future of Star Wars in Legacy:
Star Wars Legacy: Broken.
Star Wars Legacy: Shards

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

The Force is with us in EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH, the final chapter of the six-part STAR WARS series, which began a long time ago (1977) in a ...