SteelSeries 6G v2 64255 Wired Keyboard Reviews

SteelSeries 6G v2 64255 Wired Keyboard

Free Shipping Office Depot

A Short and Disappointing Tale

Feb 20, 2013

Pros:Study construction, mechanical keys

Cons:Home row is hard to find, not backlit, right shift key is smaller than usual

The Bottom Line: The design is slightly different than a normal keyboard layout and the home row was too difficult to find.  These things made the keyboard very unsatisfactory to me.

I purchased this keyboard after my Razer Blackwidow failed for the third time (see my review here).  I did some research and found that the SteelSeries 6Gv2 was very highly rated, so I decided to purchase it.

Hardware

The keyboard is black and of solid construction.  It has mechanical no click keys, so it will feel different if you have never used a mechanical keyboard.  The main thing you need to know about mechanical keys is that they allow many more key presses than a standard keyboard.  A standard keyboard might be good for up to 5 million key presses, whereas a mechanical keyboard is good for 50 million key presses.  One major difference you will notice between this keyboard and other mechanical keyboards is that the 6Gv2 has no click keys, meaning it is much more quiet, which is good if you are going to use it in a work space or around people in your home.  Some mechanical keyboards are very loud and bothersome, although it is still louder than a standard non-mechanical keyboard.

It comes with a gold plated USB connector for minimal latency.  In today's home there are many wireless signals and other disturbances present.  Gold plated connectors help to block outside disturbances, and therefore has lower latency than a standard connector.  This means there is less time between the time you press the key and the time it is registered on your PC.

The keys are slightly textured, and felt good to press.  I must warn you, however, that the paint on the keys was of poor quality and began to smear after only a short time (about a week).  This was particularly true with the keys that are used the most in a lot of games (WASD).

Keyboard Layout

I have several problems with the layout of the keys, and design of the keyboard, so I felt it deserved it's own section.

My number one complaint (and ultimately what made this keyboard unusable to me) is that the little nubs on "F" and "J" are too small and incredibly difficult for me to locate without feeling around a while.  If you don't know, they are there to help you find the home row without looking.  I was constantly on the wrong keys and it became so frustrating that I could no longer use the keyboard.

My other complaints have to do with the general layout of the keyboard, some of the keys are not standard.  The right shift key is shorter than a normal one, they removed part of it and placed the backslash key there.  I didn't use the keyboard long enough to get used to it, so many times I would have backslashes instead of capital letters.  If you press the left half of the right shift key you will have the same problem.  The final complaint is related to this, the enter key is bigger than normal.  Normally the backslash key is above enter, but since they removed part of the right shift and put it there the enter key is extended up into that area.  I found myself hitting enter when trying to do backslashes, which I suppose is something you'd get used to if you used the keyboard enough.

My Rating

I am giving this keyboard one star because it was unusable to me, mainly because of the difficulty of finding home row.  I was also not a fan of the high price and lack of back lighting.

MEET THE 6Gv2What is a gaming keyboard? Up until the release of the SteelSeries 6Gv2 it was clear that in order to be considered a gaming keyboard it ...
Office Depot