Kelly is stronger! (sorry, couldn't think of a better title)

Jul 21, 2012

Pros:Voice lovely as always
Catchy, relatible songs

Cons:A couple songs here and there that are just average.

The Bottom Line: Overall, as I mentioned in the review, a very nice album. I definitely, definitely suggest it. Pick it up!

Mr. Know It All: Her first single off Stronger. Here she sings about a guy who is possessive and assuming. Nice first single. I dig it. 8/10

Stronger:  Her second single. The lyrics help those getting out of a bad relationship. However, I like to apply this song to any situation in my life because there are so many moments I can use to relate to this song that have absolutely nothing to do with being in a relationship. Such an awesome song and a great one to work out to as well. 10/10

Dark Side: Her third single. This is one of my favourite songs on the album, and she sings about the vulnerabilities and imperfections we all have and hoping a lover (or a friend, maybe?) will embrace her regardless of those flaws. 10/10

Honestly: A mid-tempo song about the importance of a lover or friend being truthful with her in all aspects because the idea of false sincerity is worse to her than just telling the truth, even if that truth is bad. She sings, “If you’re hating me, do it honestly.” She is asking for the truth. I think. Decent song. 7/10

You Love Me: Kelly discussed this song in an interview. It is basically about an old flame who would stumble over himself trying to tell her he loved her while simultaneously making her feel like sh*t. How does one do that, really? She laughed when discussing it. Anyways, I really like this song. 8/10

Einstein: There is one line in this song that kind of makes me cringe, and I know I’m not alone in this: “I may not be Einstein, but I know dumb dumb = you.” However, it is still a pretty decent song about a two-timing jerk of a guy. Too much math in the lyrics, though. 6.5/10

Standing in Front of You: A slow song where Kelly attempts to convince a recently-hurt guy not to be afraid of taking a chance with her. Her voice is sweet, but this song is just okay for me. 6/10

I Forgive You: Love, love, love this song! It seems so relatable, too. Kelly sings about forgiving a guy she used to date when she was younger (probably in high school or early twenties) because they were both stupid and young and made mistakes like all us young people tend to do ;). They were “just a couple of kids trying to figure it out how to live doing it [their] way.” I’m loving it. One of my favourites on the album. 10/10

Hello: A simple song about trying to find someone who understands what she is going through. 7/10

The War is Over:  A mid-tempo song about finally getting rid of someone that at times makes you feel so good but is ultimately no good for you. 9/10

Let Me Down: A song about a flaky guy who just does not care as much about the relationship as she does. 7/10

You Can’t Win: This song is about not be able to please some people. Sometimes you just can’t win either way, and I think everyone gets that. Kelly definitely does! There are some awesome lyrics in this song, but I think my favourite is this: “If you speak, you only p*ss ‘em off/If you don’t, you’re another robot.” How true. 10/10

Breaking Your Own Heart: Her voice is lovely here. Kelly sings about a guy who is his own worst enemy. He basically sabotages himself by constantly saying he wants love, but simultaneously puts up walls. She is asking for those walls to be broken down. Nice song. 9/10

Don’t You Wanna Stay (feat. Jason Aldean): A sweet duet with country singer Jason Aldean in which Jason is asking the Kelly to stay in his arms, but Kelly is telling him she wants to take it slow. It’s pretty self-explanatory. I like it a lot. 9/10

Alone: A song about a guy who is there but isn’t really there. She feels alone even though they are a couple. It's alright. 6.5/10

Don’t Be A Girl About It: This is pretty self-explanatory, by the title. She is with a guy who is just a tad emotional and whiny, according to the lyrics. 6/10

The Sun Will Rise: This song is haunting and beautiful. Great way to end the deluxe album. Very uplifting message, much like Stronger, about things getting better:

“I've been in stuck in a storm before
Felt the wind raging at my door
Couldn't move, couldn't breathe, couldn't find a way out
Somehow my clouds disappeared
Somehow I made it here”  10/10

Overall, a very nice album. I definitely, definitely suggest this album if you are a Kelly fan. Even if you are a casual fan, I think you will enjoy it. Some songs take a bit of time to grow on you, but when they do, they do!