Targus Versavu Keyboard Case (THZ08412US) Replacement Keyboard for Apple iPad 2 - White/Blue Reviews

Targus Versavu Keyboard and Case for iPad 2

Nov 26, 2011 (Updated Nov 26, 2011)

Pros:allows me to use my iPad like a small laptop computer

Cons:hard to use the camera without completely removing it from the case.

The Bottom Line: Targus has come up with an ingenious little case and keyboard to make using your iPad 2 even more enjoyable.

I was lucky enough to get a new iPad 2 and was looking for a case to protect it. In doing my research I was between the Targus Versavu Case with and without the keyboard. I was not sure if I wanted or would use the keyboard and wanted to look at it in person before purchasing it. I had seen it on Amazon for about $70 and when I went to view it at Best buy they wanted $99. I asked if they would match the price and was told they do not match Amazon.com but would match it if I could find it at a brick and mortar store for less. I was not really interested in that so I walked away. The salesman ended up looking it up and found the case with keyboard at Fryes for $59.99 so he said he could sell me that one for that price. That was even cheaper than Amazon so I could not refuse such a deal. I have to say after trying this keyboard, I am so glad that I bought it. I am actually typing this review on my new keyboard!

Description of Targus Versavu Keyboard and Case for iPad 2

Let me start by stating that the keyboard with this case is only compatible with the Apple iPad 2.

I purchased the White Case with Blue interior and stitching. Had the case come in black I probably would have bought that but they did not have any black ones in stock. Since I have a white iPad 2 I have to say that the white case looks great with it. The outside of the case is white leather and has blue stitching. There is a round opening on the back that exposes the Apple Logo. While this looks like it is just for decoration it really has a function because that is where one side of the case fastens to the other in this circular area. There is a plastic ring on each side that allows you to rotate your iPad 2 in the case to view it in either a horizontal view or a vertical view.

When  you open the case the inside is a blue suede that is more of an aqua color. I really like how it looks with my white iPad 2.

The part of the case where you snap in your iPad is a molded plastic with the white leather over it. The iPad snaps in easily and fits snugly so you don't have to worry about it falling out.

There are openings in the case to allow access to all the ports for charging, camera, speaker etc.  When the case is completely closed up some of these may be covered but when you open it they are visible.

The keyboard fits on the inside of one side of the case and stays in place when you are storing it. I did a comparison to see how much thicker the keyboard makes the case and surprisingly it was only about a 1/4 to 1/2" wider.

When you close the case the ipad 2 screen area rests on the keyboard area. There is a raised area around the keyboard that rests on the keyboard and there is air space between the keys and your screen.

When you close the case there is an elastic strap that flips over to hold it closed. You can just keep it shut like a book but if you are going to put it in your brief case, suitcase or purse, I would use the elastic strap to keep it from sliding around inside the case.

The keyboard

I am still learning all the functions of this little keyboard but I have to say that it was way more than I was hoping for. It has a full qwerty keyboard with hot keys at the top just like my laptop. I can turn the screen on and off and adjust volume or play music etc. It really can do  the same things that your laptop keyboard will do. The keys are black and have symbols on them so that you can easily figure out what they do. If you have questions about the keys there is a code in the directions that accompany the keyboard and case.

Connecting the keyboard to your iPad 2

To connect the keyboard all I had to do was to make sure that the keyboard was switched on. Then I went into my settings on my iPad 2 and turned the blue tooth on. In a few seconds it identified the keyboard and asked me if I wanted to pair it with my iPad 2. I said "yes" and it gave me a numerical code to enter into the keyboard and instructed me to press enter. This seemed to do the trick and it has been working ever since.

Charging and Battery

The Targus Versavu keyboard has a rechargeable battery inside. I am not sure how often it needs to be recharged but it was working fine when I got it. The directions state that a light will blink when it is getting to 15% power left and that I should charge it at that point. At 10% the keyboard will switch itself off.

To charge the keyboard it comes with a mini usb to USB charging cord. You can plug the cord from your keyboard to your laptop. The instructions do not say how long to charge it, but it does say that when charging is complete the red led light will turn off. From the reviews that I read, the battery lasts a long time before needing to be recharged.

One thing that is good to know to help preserve the battery life of your iPad 2 is that you should go into the settings and make sure that the iPad Cover Lock and Unlock is switched to off. This will prevent the keys on the keyboard from accidentally turning the keyboard on in transit. I noticed this happening when I closed the case but also noticed that turning off the keyboard fixed the problem. It is something to be aware of and address so that you do not drain the battery of your iPad while carrying it around in the case.

Typing on the keyboard

While the keyboard is small it has a nice touch and none of the keys stick. It is not over or under sensitive and the key placement seems to work for me. I am used to typing on a laptop and did not have any trouble adapting to this keyboard so that I was typing about as fast as I do on my laptop. Everything was in full working order and I can not think of any way they could have improved it.

Using the case as a stand

The Targus Versavu allows you to keep your iPad 2 propped up for viewing and for typing. You can use the swivel connector to put your iPad in a horizontal or vertical position depending on what you are doing.

The stand is secure enough to use it like you would a laptop and the iPad fits into the groove and remains pretty steady. It is easy to use the touch screen in this position without worrying that you will knock your iPad over off the stand.

Using the stand would also be great for watching a movie or even playing a game.

Final Thoughts and Rating

I am going to give the Targus Versavu Case and keyboard 4 stars instead of 5 because I think it might make it difficult to use the iPad for Face Time or the camera. I may have to take it out of the case for that. In looking at the case, Targus could have easily made the swivel connector in such a way that the hard shell on the bottom could snap away from the rest of the case and keyboard. This to me would make this case and keyboard perfect. As it stands to use it for facetime I will have to remove the whole thing from the case, and I think having the bottom of the case on the iPad during camera use, would still give it some protection while I am not storing it in the case or using the keyboard.

Other Apple related reviews

My iPad 2 review
Sprint Apple iPhone 4s
elago stylus

Thanks for reading my review

I have typed this whole review with the Targus Versavu Keyboard and while I will have to do some editing on my laptop it is only because I can not figure out how to highlight things on my iPad. I know it can be done but I just do not quite have the hang of it yet. If you have questions or comments please leave them in the comments section.

:-)

Becky

Targus Versavu Bluetooth Keyboard Folio Case Apple Ipad 2 - Thz084us

Targus Versavu Bluetooth Keyboard Folio Case Apple Ipad 2 - Thz084us

Shop by Brand Store Categories Bill Me Later !! NEW Targus VERSAVU Bluetooth Keyboard Folio Case Apple iPad 2 - THZ084US [+] click on image above to e...

TARGUS VERSAVU BLACK 360 DEGREE (THZ156US)

TARGUS VERSAVU BLACK 360 DEGREE (THZ156US)

VERSAVU BLACK 360 DEGREE MPN: THZ156US

Targus Thz156us Versavu Carrying Case For Ipad, Accessories - Black

Template By Froo!Targus THZ156US Versavu Carrying Case for iPad, Accessories - Black Targus THZ156US Versavu Carrying Case for iPad, Accessories - Bla...

Targus Thz156us Versavu Carrying Case For Ipad, Accessories - Black

Targus THZ156US Versavu Carrying Case for iPad, Accessories - Black (THZ156US)(New-Retail) Transform your iPad into the ultimate viewing experience wi...

Targus Versavu THZ17102US Keyboard - Cover Case for iPad - Red

Targus Versavu THZ17102US Keyboard - Cover Case for iPad - Red

Transform your iPad into the ultimate viewing and typing experience with the Versavu Keyboard Case from Targus. With 360 degree rotating axis and soft...
Office Depot

Y12210 Targus Thz156us Versavu Carrying Case For Ipad, Accessories - Black

Y12210 Targus Thz156us Versavu Carrying Case For Ipad, Accessories - Black

Targus THZ156US Versavu Carrying Case for iPad, Accessories - Black (THZ156US)(New-Retail) Description: Targus THZ156US Versavu Carrying Case for iPad...

Targus(R) Versavu(TM) Case For iPad(R) 3 iPad(R) 4, Black

Targus(R) Versavu(TM) Case For iPad(R) 3 iPad(R) 4, Black

Stand rotates 360 degree for easy viewing Rotates both vertically and horizontally. Provides 3 viewing positions. Unique design frames the Apple(R) lo...
Office Depot

Brand New Targus Versavu THZ17101US Keyboard/Cover Case for iPad - Black

Brand New Targus Versavu THZ17101US Keyboard/Cover Case for iPad - Black

Targus Versavu THZ17101US Keyboard/Cover Case for iPad - Black Stain Resistant - Apple Logo Product Name: Versavu Rotating Keyboard Case & Stand for T...
Targus Versavu Keyboard Case For Apple Ipad Air 5th Generation - Noir Thz192us