The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Third Season

Relationships Bloom in The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Third Season

Sep 19, 2010 (Updated Sep 22, 2011)

Pros:Funny, entertaining show with good characters.

Cons:I didn't like one development.  Not many extras.

The Bottom Line: The Big Bang Theory is a wonderful show that is worth seeing.  The Big Theory - The Complete Third Season is a great set for fans of the show.

In the fall of 2007, I ended up seeing the first episode of The Big Bang Theory just because there wasn't anything else on that I wanted to watch at that time.  By the end of the episode, I was hooked and I've been watching the show ever since.  I have the DVD sets for the first two seasons and I just picked up The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Third Season and watched all the episodes again even though I'd probably seen them all at least twice already.

The Big Bang Theory was created by Chuck Lorre and airs on CBS.  The show has aired during a few different time slots on Monday nights, the most recent being at 9:30 PM EST.  For the new fall schedule, CBS has decided to movie the show and it will now be airing on Thursday nights at 8:00 PM EST starting on September 23, 2010.

The Big Bang Theory is a half hour comedy that is about four extremely intelligent scientists and how they deal with, or try to deal with, various situations.  Leonard and Sheldon have been roommates for several years and they mostly manage to get along, though they annoy each other at times.  Sheldon, a theoretical physicist, is a genius who started college when he was eleven.  He struggles to understand social situations, though he is slowly figuring out some things.  Leonard is an experimental physicist who works at Caltech with Sheldon.  Howard Wolowitz, an engineer, and Rajesh Koothrappali, a particle astrophysicist, also work at Caltech and are friends with Leonard and Sheldon.  Penny is a beautiful young woman who works as a waitress and lives across the hall from Leonard and Sheldon, She has become a friend of the guys, though she does have issues with Howard.

All four of the guys are very smart, though Sheldon likes to say that he is the smartest.  The guys are also geeks or nerds.  They have collections of action figures and comic books, and can talk for ages about different movies and television shows that they like.  They celebrate Columbus Day by watching three movies written by Christopher Columbus.  They play paint ball and different video games on specific days.  Howard wears a lot of different belt buckles that usually are tied to video games or comic books.  Sheldon wears a lot of shirts that feature different comic book characters.  Sheldon has a safe deposit box just to store old comic books in.  Penny is usually clueless about a lot of the stuff the guys like, though she is starting to pick some stuff up.  She talks about the new Star Trek movie and even quotes Yoda at one point.  Various collectible things, like some of the action figures and a Batman cookie jar, can be seen around the apartment.  A few episodes have scenes that take place in the local comic book store where the guys buy their comic books.  I love all the comic book and movie stuff that comes up in the show.  It is used in a way that works and helps to make the show more entertaining.  There are two references to Firefly and it sounds like Sheldon is still ticked off that the show was cancelled.

The first episode of the third season ties in with the last episode of season two when the guys go off to spend the summer in the North Pole so Sheldon can conduct an experiment.  Within the first few minutes of the episode, the guys return home and things about the trip come out.  Most of the episodes have plots that can stand alone, though things that happened in previous episodes are brought up or referred to frequently.  There are no two part episodes in the season, though there are a few storylines that span several episodes.  I do think it is best to watch the episodes in order, from the beginning of the first season.  So many things about the characters will make more sense when the series is watched from the beginning.

I think the biggest development in the third season of The Big Bang Theory is that Leonard and Penny start a relationship.  Things seem a bit rocky at first, but it really doesn't take long for them to get past that.  I like the relationship and think they are cute together.  It is also really entertaining to watch Sheldon react to the changes tied to the relationship.  Sheldon is really flustered when Penny is there in the morning and making french toast when it is oatmeal day.  The relationship is the main focus of some of the episodes, but for the most part, it is more in the background while other things are going on.  I don't like what happens with the relationship later in the season even though things are sort of better by the final episode.  I just hope the writer's aren't planning to tease at that for the run of the show and only truly fix things in the final episode.  That nonsense is why I quit watching Friends.

A somewhat surprising romance development is that Howard gets a girlfriend, Bernadette.  She is a little different as well, which may be why things with them work.  She works with Penny while going to college.  Penny actually set them up after Howard bugged Leonard to get Penny to set him up with one of her friends.  Things don't go well at first, but they manage to make a connection and they are rather cute together at times.  The relationship isn't shown that much, so I don't think it is used as much as it could have been.  I think the relationship had a lot more potential than was shown.  During the last episode of the season, Howard and Raj get the wild idea to sign Sheldon up at a computer dating site, mostly just to see what will happen.  The idea of Sheldon in some kind of relationship is kind of bizarre, but I also think there are some interesting possibilities there too.  Sheldon meets the woman, Amy, at the very end of that episode.  She is seen very little, but she does seem to be a female version of Sheldon.

There are several other entertaining things that happen during the third season of The Big Bang Theory.  Raj faces being deported and is forced to take a job working for Sheldon to stay in the country. That causes some very funny moments.  It would have been nice if that situation was mentioned more after that episode.  Sheldon goes without sleep for several days while working on some sort of problem.  In another episode, he wins an award and has to overcome his fear of public speaking to accept it.  Leonard's mother comes for another visit and it comes out that she and Sheldon have been staying in contact.  The two share a moment that is rather shocking.  Raj convinces Sheldon to go out with him to pick up women by turning over collectibles like a Green Lantern lantern and Incredible Hulk hands signed by Stan Lee.  Penny gets hurt and Sheldon is the only one who can take her to the hospital, and that results in him landing in court in a later episode.  The fact that Sheldon considers the actor Wil Wheaton to be an enemy plays a part in two very entertaining episodes.  One episode goes back to show how Leonard and Sheldon first met.  More details about the Roommate Agreement that Sheldon has mentioned every so often comes up.  Bathroom times and the setting for the thermostat are covered in the agreement.  Sheldon even has a flag for the apartment that is only to be turned upside down if the apartment is in distress.  Many of the episodes have somewhat silly plots, but they work wonderfully and are very entertaining.

Like has happened in the first two seasons, science stuff continues to come up in the episodes of The Big Bang Theory.  Things tied to the work of all the guys comes up at some point.  They use some scientific terms in normal conversations.  I think that works for the show even when I don't fully understand what they are talking about.  In a few episodes, characters explain certain scientific things and I did understand those things fairly well.  At one point, Penny gets Sheldon to teach her some psychics stuff so she can understand Leonard's work.  I like the science things that are included in the episodes and think they help to make the show more entertaining.  I have no idea how accurate they are though.

The Big Bang Theory is a hilarious show and is consistently funny in every episode.  I think it is one of the funniest shows I've watched and it is my favorite comedy currently airing.  I do think that the show should have been nominated for the best comedy Emmy for the last few years.  Some of the humor is a bit silly and some of it gets a bit suggestive, but it all works for the show.  For me, much of the humor comes from Sheldon and the things he does and says.  He is a bit different and he tends to react to some things in very unique ways.  He ends up getting a bit drunk at one point with hilarious results.  When he stops sleeping to figure out a science problem, he does some rather interesting things.  Every episode has made me laugh out loud, even on repeated viewings.  Many of the interactions between Sheldon and Penny are really funny.  Howard and Raj also add a lot of humor to the show.  I think Raj is really starting to stand out, and he probably makes me laugh almost as much as Sheldon.

Each character has some kind of quirk or issue, though Sheldon definitely has the most.  He lives by a schedule that includes when he goes to the bathroom.  He gets agitated when things happen that mess up his schedule.  He is very particular about his food, who touches it, and where it comes from.  Sheldon has a spot where he sits in the apartment and even when he isn't there, he doesn't want anyone else sitting there.  He still struggles in social situations and doesn't understand many things tied to dating.  Sheldon's numerous issues tend to come up frequently and I think they help to make the show more entertaining.  Sheldon can be kind of annoying at times, but he is likable overall.  I love Jim Parsons in the part and am very glad that he won the Emmy for best actor in a comedy for his performance.  His mother makes another short appearance.  I have enjoyed the episodes that she's been in and hope she is back again.  I am also hoping that Sheldon's beloved grandmother, Meemaw, turns up in the new season.

Leonard seems to be the most normal of the four guys and he is better able to deal with certain situations.  He does have a few of his own issues which seem to be tied to his childhood and how distant his mother still is.  Leonard does struggle with relationships even though he has had the most success in that area.  He can deal with Sheldon better than the others for the most part.   Leonard is likable overall and Johnnie Galecki does well with the part.  His mother turns up again in one episode.  I love Christine Baranski in the part.  Penny still works as a waitress.  She mentions a former acting job once or twice, but her ambition to be an actress doesn't come up as much.  Penny is fitting in much better with the guys now and understands their quirks.  She is even to explain why Sheldon's spot is his spot.  She and Sheldon do seem to have a special bond and their scenes are highly entertaining.  Kaley Cuoco does really well with the part.

Since Howard is an engineer instead of some kind of physicist like the other guys, his intelligence is sometimes insulted.  When that happens, Sheldon is usually the one doing it.  Howard lives with his mother, a very loud woman who is never seen.  She is just heard screaming at Howard about different things.  Howard chases after women, trying to have sex with as many of them as he can.  He thinks he is irresistible, but most women find it very easy to resist him.  Howard is kind of creepy at times, but he manages to be likable overall.  Simon Helberg does really well with the part.

Raj is from India.  He and Howard seem to be best friends, and they frequently go out to try to pick up women together.  Raj's issue is that he is unable to talk to most women unless he is drunk.  During the first season, he briefly took part in a drug trial for some kind of new anti-anxiety medicine that also allowed him to talk to women.  Raj is really very sweet even with his problem.  He may seem like a more simple character since anytime Penny is around he doesn't speak, but he is more complicated.  He has all sorts of issues and is really entertaining.  I think he is starting to bloom as a character and Kunal Nayyar is wonderful in the part.

Main Cast

Kaley Cuoco - Penny
Johnny Galecki - Leonard Hofstadter
Simon Helberg - Howard Wolowitz
Kunal Nayyar - Rajesh Koothrappali
Jim Parsons - Sheldon Cooper

DVD Information

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Third Season was released on DVD and Blu-ray on September 14, 2010.  I got the DVD set.  The season has twenty-three episodes on three discs.  The case is like the ones used for the first two seasons that have each DVD on a page like holder that can be turned to get to the other discs.  There is a little booklet that has a few images from the season.  There is a list of episodes with short plot summaries.  The booklet also tells which disc each episode is on and shares some other information, like the original air date.  All the episode titles sort of sound scientific, something that was also done with the first two seasons.

From the main menu of each disc, there is an option to go to another menu to select the episodes one at a time.  There is also an option to play all the episodes, one after the other.  Once the last episode on the disc finishes playing, the main menu loads back up after all sorts of warnings about copyrights are shown in numerous languages.  Unfortunately, there aren't many extras again.  Takeout With the Cast of The Big Bang Theory has the cast sitting in apartment set answering questions about the show that are taken from fortune cookies.  They mostly discuss things related to the third season, though the Christmas episode from season two does come up.  Clips from a few shows are shown during this part as well.  It is entertaining, but it doesn't last that long.

Set Tour With Kunal and Simon has the two actors going around the sets showing different things.  They talk to a few different people and point out a few things.  It is interesting, though it also doesn't last that long.  The final extra is the gag reel.  That lasts just over seven minutes and is really funny.  I'm thinking it might be longer than the one with the second season, though I could be wrong.  Seeing that makes it look like the cast has a lot of fun working together.

I love The Big Bang Theory and think it is the funniest show currently on television.  The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Third Season is a great DVD set for fans of the series.

Like I have done with my reviews of the first two seasons, I've decided to include some quotes that I think help to illustrate the humor of the show.

Sheldon: They were threatened by my intelligence and too stupid to know that's why they hated me.

Raj: I don't like bugs, okay? They freak me out.
Sheldon: Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic.

Raj: Ooo, big talk from a man who was once treed by a chicken.

Leonard: I'm just saying, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Sheldon: You can catch even more flies with manure, what's your point?

Raj: I'm going to be deported, sent home in disgrace, exposed to the sardonic barbs of my cousin Sanjay, or as you may know him, Dave from AT&T customer service.

Sheldon:  There's a fine line between wrong and visionary. Unfortunately, you have to be a visionary to see it.

Leonard: I've always been a little confused about this. Why don't Hindus eat beef?
Raj: We believe cows are gods.
Sheldon: Not technically. In Hinduism, cattle are thought to be like God.
Raj: Do not tell me about my own culture, Sheldon! In the mood I'm in, I'll take you out, I swear to cow!

Sheldon: It might also interest you to know that Wil Wheaton currently ranks sixth on my all-time enemies list, right between director Joel Schumacher, who nearly destroyed the Batman movie franchise, and Billy Sparks, who lived down the street from me and put dog poop on the handles of my bicycle.

Sheldon: Where exactly does the half-sandwich come from? Are you giving me half of someone else's sandwich, or do I have to wait for someone in the restaurant to order the other half?

Raj: Sheldon, you remind me of a young Lex Luthor.

Sheldon: My new computer came with Windows 7. Windows 7 is much more user-friendly than Windows Vista......I don't like that.

Sheldon: I don't trust banks. I believe that when the robots rise up, ATM's will lead the charge.

Wolowitz: Why do you have all of these unopened paychecks in your desk?
Sheldon: Because most of the things I'm planning to buy haven't been invented yet.

Sheldon: I cannot speak to large crowds.
Leonard: What, to you, is a large crowd?
Sheldon: Any group big enough to trample me to death. General rule of thumb is 36 adults or 70 children.

Sheldon: I recently had a dream that I was a giant, but everything around me was to scale, so it all looked normal.
Leonard: How did you know if you were a giant if everything was to scale?
Sheldon: I was wearing size 1,000,000 pants.

Sheldon: Well, well, well, if it isn't Wil Wheaton. The Green Goblin to my Spider-Man, the Pope Paul V to my Galileo, the Internet Explorer to my Firefox!

Sheldon: I so loathe you.
Wil Wheaton: That's right, Sheldon. Embrace the dark side.
Sheldon: That's not even from your franchise!

Sheldon: Hello, Amy Farrah Fowler. I'm sorry to inform you that you've been taken in by unsupportable mathematics designed to prey upon the gullible and the lonely. Additionally, I am being blackmailed with a hidden dirty sock.
Amy: If that was slang, I'm unfamiliar with it. If it was literal, I share your aversion to soiled hosiery.

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete First Season ~ The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Second Season ~ The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Fourth Season ~

Viewing Format: DVD

Big Bang Theory - The Complete 1 2 3 Seasons First Second Third Brand Sealed

Big Bang Theory - The Complete 1 2 3 Seasons First Second Third Brand Sealed

Big Bang Theory The Complete First Season comes with all the episodes from the sitcoms first season along with several extras that are sure to be popu...
Big Bang Theory - The Complete Season 1 2 3 4 (dvd, 14-disc Set)

Big Bang Theory - The Complete Season 1 2 3 4 (dvd, 14-disc Set)

BIG BANG THEORY:COMPLETE FOURTH SSN

Four seasons in, it is still laugh-out-loud funny. Every episode, every week, USA Todays Robert Bianco says about the hit series The Big Bang Theory. ...
Big Bang Theory: The Complete Third Season DVD

Big Bang Theory: The Complete Third Season DVD

This release includes all 23 episodes from the third season of the brainy sitcom THE BIG BANG THEORY following the romantic and practical misadventure...
Family Video

Big Bang Theory-complete 1st Season

Big Bang Theory-complete 1st Season

The Big Bang Theory Complete Seasons 1 2 3, 1-3

The Big Bang Theory Complete Seasons 1 2 3, 1-3

The Big Bang Theory: Seasons 1-3 is a DVD release of the TV series that airs on CBS. This ten-disc set covers episodes in seasons 1 through 3 from 200...

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Sixth Season Blu-ray 6

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Sixth Season Blu-ray 6

This release from the sitcom BIG BANG THEORY includes all 24 episodes of the show's sixth season, following the daily misadventures of a group of soci...

BIG BANG THEORY:COMPLETE FOURTH SSN

Big Bang Theory:complete First Season By Big Bang Theory (dvd)

Big Bang Theory:complete First Season By Big Bang Theory (dvd)