The Hall China Company Hall Autumn Leaf Pie/Baking Plate, Fine China - 6207681501 Reviews

KITCHEN : Autumn Leaf Pie Baking Plate

Oct 23, 2012

Pros:
Well made, durable, bakes lovely pies

Cons:
NONE NOTED

The Bottom Line:

Added to the catalog during mid 1937 and discontinued in 1976; these shallow, 9.5 inch, popular, round bakers turn out perfectly browned crust every time.

Note:  Autumn Leaf is the most popular dinnerware pattern produced by Hall China.  Produced for the Jewel Tea Company from 1933 to 1976 Hall China Autumn Leaf pattern was sold only through Jewel Tea.  On the other hand, the signature decal used was not exclusive and was used by many major pottery manufacturers prior to 1933 when it became exclusive to Hall China Company.  i.e. every piece of pottery bearing the Autumn Leaf decal is not necessarily a Hall China production.  Novice collectors will need to check the trademark on back of pieces to assure the piece they find interesting bears the name Mary Dunbar in the backstamp.

Many of the more popular Hall patterns may also have harmonizing glassware or tinware pieces made by others available as well as the pottery pieces.  Because Autumn Leaf was and is so popular; plastic and fabric items may also be located.

NOT recommended for dishwasher or microwave usage.

===================

Hall®  China Company, Jewel Tea®  Company Promotional Item, Autumn Leaf Pie Baking Plate
is one of my favorite and most used pieces of the Hall Bakeware.

I enjoyed and continue to enjoy baking pies, especially so, as Sons were home and pies did not remain long in the dish.

Strictly speaking, here in the US, pie has most often referred to a dish whether meat, fowl, fish, fruit, or cream, generally having crust at bottom and top to enclose the filling.

In the US today pie is most generally thought of as a dessert, baked in a shallow pan with bottom and top crust.  In other parts of the world these dishes may be known as tarts.

Crafted of a heavy duty pottery china, glazed, fired at 2400 ° F and finished with the signature hand placed ochre, brown and orange Autumn Leaf decal which has long been all but synonymous with the words Jewel Tea; these baking dishes are as appealing as they are hard-wearing.

Shape of baker is round, bottom is slightly smaller than plate opening diameter, sidewalls are slanted slightly away from the bottom to create a lip upon which crust edge.  Signature Autum Leaf decal is hand applied  as is line of gold at rim edge.

Note: slight variations in placement of decal or gold line are not detrimental.

As with many of my other Hall, Autumn Leaf pieces I have 2 of these bakers.  When I began buying for both Mama and myself following my beginning to teach and was in my unthinking youth;  I never dreamed the day might come when Mama would no longer be able to care for herself, or that her cooking might one day be a dish or two now and then.  However, as age and all the attendant issues that accrue with that situation the did come that my parents both became elderly and Mama boxed up her pieces of -Jewel Tea- dishes for me to take to my house for use with my growing family.

Mama  kept only the lidded casserole baker she had received as a wedding gift many years prior and I found myself with enough dishware and bakeware to fill many cupboards and easily feed teen aged sons and their always hungry friends.

During the formative years of our country; savory, salty meat pies were often staple on the table as our forebears brought in game, wild birds and the like for the pantry larder.  Over time sweetened fruit pies evolved and became a staple for the hardworking folks building a new country in a land requiring energy for the work of clearing land and raising buildings.

Early fruit filled pies, as were meat-filled forerunners, were often eaten as part of the day’s main meal, which among farming folks frequently remains as the breakfast when large meals are prepared as an energy source for those who continue to be very physically active and need a filling meal to carry them well beyond –lunch time- as tractor work, or fence building or other time consuming –don’t quit until it done- jobs are undertaken .

I have cooked many main dish or meat pies, impossible pies, and dessert pies both cream and fruit in my –Jewel Tea- pie bakers; all have been mighty tasty and quickly disappeared from the dish.  During son’s teenaged, never stop eating years, having 2 Hall bakers was a true asset.

Holiday time was always a time of much pie baking in my household.

One pie, Cranberry Apple baked in the -Jewel Tea- pie baker  has become a family tradition for Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.

My Hall, Jewel Tea 9.5 baker continues to be pretty, not crazed or otherwise marred after baking up and serving many entrée and dessert pies.  I continue to use it today.

Happy to recommend
Hall® China Company, Jewel Tea®  Company Promotional Item, Autumn Leaf Pie Baking Plate

CRANBERRY APPLE PIE

Prepare pastry using recipe and  pie baker of choice, add filling and top crust, bake at 425° F until browned, about 30 minutes, delicious aroma scents the kitchen, cool, enjoy.

Cranberry Apple Filling:

1.5 C cranberries – I use whole, but can be chopped, I use fresh, can be frozen

3 fair sized apples, I use  Granny Smith
1 C sugar

½ t grated orange peel

½ t spice, can be cinnamon, I use allspice

1 T thickening, can be flour, I use corn starch

1/3 cup orange or cranberry juice
Optional, chopped nuts, T butter, I do not add for Husband self, however, Son #1 enjoys having them added.

Bring filling mixture, sans apples,  to simmer in saucepan, I use an electric pan, can be done on stove top, continue simmer until mixture is slightly thickened.

Peel, core, slice apples into pie baker with prepared crust in place, pour cooling cranberry mixture over the apples, add top crust, bake.

MORE HALL CHINA JEWEL TEA ITEMS REVIEWS

HALL CHINA ALLADIN POT INFUSER
Hall China Early Sugar Bowl
Hall China, Jewel Tea Ruffle D Creamer
Jewel Tea Vegetable Bowl

Reviewed by Molly’s Reviews
molly martin

===========================

For more product details, facts, and shipping information please check the SEE IT buttons

-------------------------------

NOTE: The following is information regarding Hall China Company.

If you, as I, am/are a collector and not only have an interest in company information but need particular information regarding  company itself, where Autumn Leaves items were manufactured and years of issue as well as, where they may be offered for sale today and other pertinent information as available;

Please Read.

Should you not have such interest, Please skip.

-------------------------------

From perusing on line sites, various pottery books, and collecting Hall Autumn Leaves for many years I have learned: The Hall China Company was founded 14 August 1903 by Robert Hall inEast Liverpool,Ohio. Hall, with 33 potters and three bottle kilns  . Initial offerings were kept to a minimum of individual designs—household ware, toilet sets, spittoons, and the like—in an effort to contain costs.

Following the death of founder Hall in 1904, his son became manager of the small, struggling company and began experimenting with glazes to develop a glaze able to withstand the high heat needed for bisque firing.  Development of the first lead free glaze in 1911 permitted Hall to fire at 2400° F to produce strong, crazeproof and non porous pieces coming out of kiln.

Celebrating 100 years success in 2003 Hall China Company is one of only a few great family-owned U.S. pottery companies which has not only continued to flourish, but has met all problems, made them part of the company successes and continue proving that premium quality does not have to be forgone in order to continue viable.

1908 the first dinnerware line was offered

1911 a small batch of single fire glaze was tested successfully

1914 laboratory and chemical porcelain was produced

1920  January  Moved to larger site in downtown East Liverpool

1920 November Robert Hall died, his brother in law Malcolm Wayland “Mac” Thompson became secretary, treasurer in addition to becoming general manager

1930  new, larger,  Hall China plant built in city’s East End; product line included bain marie jars, coffeepots, custards, casseroles, coffee urn linings, pot pie dishes,  ramekins, teapots,  shirred egg dishes, steam table pots, and more.

1940s growth continued

1950s unable to meet Japanese competitive dinnerware production decision was made to move away from dinnerware production and begin commercial and institutional ware

1970s acquisitions fueled growth

1980s expansion found Hall China Company doing business in GilmerTexas

1990s introduction of new computer driven technology brought new innovations and partnerships

1998 HallChina website was launched and continues to today with focus designed for the food service industry

Currently Hall China Company offers approximately a thousands items, shipped world wide to dealerships many of which have long relationships with HallChina.

The Hall China Company
1 Anna Avenue
East Liverpool,Ohio43920USA

Hall Autumn Leaf 4 Piece Stack Set, Large Only, Fine China Dinnerware - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves

Hall - Hall Autumn Leaf 4 Piece Stack Set, Large Only - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves
Replacements, Ltd.

Hall Autumn Leaf 4 Piece Stack Set, Small Bowl Only, Fine China Dinnerware - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves

Hall - Hall Autumn Leaf 4 Piece Stack Set, Small Bowl Only - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves
Replacements, Ltd.

Hall Autumn Leaf China Reamer/Juicer, Fine China Dinnerware - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves

Hall - Hall Autumn Leaf China Reamer/Juicer - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves
Replacements, Ltd.

Hall Autumn Leaf 1992 Limited Edition China Sherbet, Fine China Dinnerware - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves

Hall - Hall Autumn Leaf 1992 Limited Edition China Sherbet - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves
Replacements, Ltd.

Hall Autumn Leaf Water Can, Fine China Dinnerware - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves

Hall - Hall Autumn Leaf Water Can - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves
Replacements, Ltd.

Hall Autumn Leaf Night Light/Cup, Fine China Dinnerware - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves

Hall - Hall Autumn Leaf Night Light/Cup - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves
Replacements, Ltd.

Hall Autumn Leaf Relish, Fine China Dinnerware - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves

Hall - Hall Autumn Leaf Relish - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves
Replacements, Ltd.

Hall Autumn Leaf Dinner Plate, Fine China Dinnerware - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves

Hall - Hall Autumn Leaf Dinner Plate - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves
Replacements, Ltd.

Hall Autumn Leaf Clock Plate, Fine China Dinnerware - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves

Hall - Hall Autumn Leaf Clock Plate - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves
Replacements, Ltd.

Hall Autumn Leaf T Ball Square Teapot, Fine China Dinnerware - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves

Hall - Hall Autumn Leaf T Ball Square Teapot - Orange/Yellow Flowers,Brown&Tan Leaves