The Wizard of Oz (DVD, 2009, 5-Disc Set, Ultimate Collector's Edition) Reviews

The Wizard of Oz (DVD, 2009, 5-Disc Set, Ultimate Collector's Edition)

Probably the best-loved movie of all time, and rightly so.

May 7, 2001 (Updated May 7, 2001)

Pros:Come on now. We're talking about The Wizard of Oz here!

Cons:You tell me.

The Bottom Line: When a movie is cherished so lovingly and for as many years as this one is, there's probably good reason.

L. Frank Baum's classic children's story comes to life in what is most likely the world's most beloved film. It has earned that distinction by charming generation after generation, thanks to numerous re-releases and annual TV broadcasts. It's one of those movies that has transcended the medium of cinema, and has become a welcome part of American culture. Everyone probably has at least one memory of watching The Wizard of Oz as a small kid, with parents and popcorn surrounding you. Completely cynic-proof, this is a movie you can truly love.

Who doesn't know the story of Dorothy and how her house lands in Muchkinland? Were you one of the kids who was terrified of the flying monkeys? (I was.) The Cowardly Lion has all the best punchlines, but the Tin Man and Scarecrow get to be the brave ones. The wonderful songs that were just this close to being way too corny. The bottom line is that this film has a wonderful and simple message and it's just a totally entertaining adventure movie as well.

As we all know: Following a nasty tornado, Dorothy Gale wakes up to find herself in Oz. The Munchkins greet her, before we meet Glinda the Good Witch, who explains how our heroine can return home: She must reach the Emerald City and ask for help from the great and powerful Oz. With her terrier Toto close behind, she begins her journey down the Yellow Brick Road. Unfortunately, there's the evil witch who just HATES Dorothy. (Well, Dot DID kill her sister and got the fancy ruby slippers!)

Along the way, she meets the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion. Each has something they also lack, so they hope to ask Oz for a little help as well. After quite a few scrapes and one case of drug overdose (I didn't really understand the poppy field scene until I was older) they all arrive in Oz's court, when they are charged with a task in exchange for their wishes: Steal the broom from the Wicked Witch of the West!

Of course, we all know how it turns out: The witch has a bad time around water, Oz is a big fake, and our heroes all had what they thought they lacked ALL ALONG! (I still get misty when Dorothy listens to the Tin Man's heart.) The reason this is the ultimate classic? It's sweet, but not too sappy. It's a LITTLE scary, but very colorful.

The characters are sweet, and the villains are UGLY. The songs are not only perfect, but they actually integrate well with the plot! (How novel.) The stark contrast between the black-and-white Kansas in the beginning, compared with the explosion of colors and sounds in Oz is a wonderful technique. And a personal favorite of mine: How each of Dorothy's heroes were actually real guys, only enhanced into companions and heroes through her dreams.

This movie speaks to kids especially. Dorothy is bored living on her farm. The nasty lady down the road wants to KILL her dog! AND everything is black and white. But after all her excitement and fun in Oz, all she really wants is to just get home to her family.

Not only is The Wizard of Oz a really entertaining and sweet movie for any age, but it also brings us back to our early movie memories, when it was a thrill to stay up late, and when you'd hide your eyes when those monkeys showed up. Therein lies the magic of movies.

Note: This is an update of a review I wrote a while back. For some reason, Epinions had it relegated to a category called "Archived Movie Reviews" and that makes it a little tough for people to find it! Thanks for reading it. (I have of course deleted the older version.)

Young Dorothy is bored of her gray life on a Kansas farm. When her house is whisked away by a tornado, it lands somewhere over the rainbow in a Techni...