SAS Scandinavian Airlines

bait-and-switch

Jun 6, 2003

Pros:Their English is better than most native speakers

Cons:bait-and-switch, mediocre service

The Bottom Line: Avoid if possible. Anticipate non-stop flights being canceled, changing plans without compensation.

While other airlines reduce costs by cutting food, SAS cuts integrity. SAS advertises the only non-stop flight on certain routes, sells tickets, then cancels the flight. SAS offers a connecting flight or a refund, but nothing to make up for the inconvenience, not even an apology. It's a bait-and-switch: bait customers with a better product than they can get elsewhere, then switch them to an inferior product, preferably when it's too late for them to buy from a competitor.

SAS has done this to me twice, and when I asked about compensation (or an upgrade, or bonus miles, or a ride to the airport) they said they couldn't because they've done the same thing to too many people.

Apparently it's a routine practice for SAS; if they don't sell enough tickets on a particular flight to make it profitable, then rather than discount the remaining seats, they just cancel the flight. In my experience, they make the decision a few weeks in advance; however, I've been told that sometimes they wait until the last minute, leaving passengers waiting at the airport for an alternate flight.

In my view, it's better to do business with an honest airline that actually provides what it sells. BA for example flies between most of the same destinations from the US, with better food and service, and London is about the best stopover in the world.