Delta Air Lines

DL 912, CCS-ATL, Business Class

Jun 15, 2000

Pros:Attentive service

Cons:Poor recognition of local customers' needs

Before I reached the check-in counter, a Delta agent stopped me to ask the same security questions they ask you on US domestic flights. The check-in counters opened approximately 3 hours before departure. The agent who checked me in was friendly and efficient.

Drinks were offered upon boarding. Boarding went smoothly. The flight attendants helped passengers stow their luggage as they prepared the cabin for an on time departure. The safety video shown before takeoff was in English only.

Delta used a 737-800 for this flight. Business class had 4 rows in a 2-2 configuration. The seats were comfortable and came with an adjustable headrest and footrest with a pitch of approximately 36 inches. The cabin was fairly clean and in good condition. The quality of the video and audio systems were good.

Announcements were made in both English and Spanish. The flight crew gave us periodic updates about the flight and the weather conditions in Atlanta. Lunch was not served until halfway through the flight, which departed just after 0900. The choices for lunch were beef tenderloin, grilled salmon, and vegetarian pasta. I originally chose the vegetarian pasta but the flight attendant offered the tenderloin. I told her that I can only eat meat if it is well-done. She assured me that she can serve the meat well-done if I gave her a few extra minutes. As promised, the meat was served well-done using the steam oven they routinely use in-flight. The meat was well seasoned and was fairly good. The dessert, a vanilla ice cream sundae with chocolate sauce, whipped cream, chopped nuts, and garnished with a pirouline cookie, was equally good.

The flight attendant working business class was very friendly and very attentive. After conversing with her, I learned that she had been with Delta for about 21 years. I thanked her for the excellent service she had provided, which is one of the best I have ever experienced on a Delta flight.

Our arrival was uneventful with the exception of out arrival time, which was 25 minutes early.

As noted before, there are certain areas DL can still improve on. Translating the safety video in Spanish and offering a local dish as one of the meal choices are minor enhancements which can have a positive impact on how Latin American customers perceive DL's commitment to earning their business. A-