Holland America Statendam

20 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Very Good

The beautiful and elegant Statendam

Feb 5, 2008

Pros:Great food, friendly, efficient, attentive staff, clean and tidy ship.

Cons:The singers were a bit ordinary. I was not impressed with them at all.

The Bottom Line: Families and Seniors would be best suited because of the type of entertainment and the cost.

The Statendam is one of Holland America's smaller ships. Be that as it may, it was run wonderfully by the captain, Frans Consen, and the food was quite good. I am sure it is not easy to prepare such delectable delights when the ship is at times at sea for several days. The only downfall that I can see about the food is that there is just too much of it! They did not serve the giant "American Sized" portions, but sized just right. Because meals needed to be prepared in advance in case "everyone" wanted the same meal, there were more prepared than eaten (approximately 87,000 meals were prepared and served during the 14-day cruise). That is just part of the industry. All buffets, served meals and late night snacks were quite good. I also cannot say enough about the staff. They were polite, attentive, friendly, efficient and always went above and beyond. The Events Staff consistently ensured that everyone was happy, entertained and well looked after. They spent a lot of time with those travelling alone and/or singles. The dining room stewards were knowledgeable, funny, efficient and fast as lightning. The room stewards were also very fast; I would be out of my room for a few minutes and come back to a clean room and a made bed. Don't get me started on the cute towel animals that were on our beds every night! It is quite possible that I am blinded by the lustre of my first cruise. However, I was cruising with my mum and dad and they have been on approximately 10 cruises now and they are of the same opinion. I highly recommend travelling with Holland America and on the "Beautiful and elegant Statendam"!

Best Suited For: Friends