Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas

Get Out There

Mar 14, 2007

Pros:Price, Service, Ports, Staff, Food, Room

Cons:I had to come home

The Bottom Line: I would recommend this to singles, teens, couples, families, etc. They do a great job at making sure everyone has fun!

We did the 7 night Western Caribbean on the Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston in October 2006 to celebrate our 6 year anniversary. We left the children at home with grandma. We were nervous because this is the tail end of hurricane season, but were pleasantly surprised with what we got.

Cost:
We paid $529 per person for an interior room. If you go during peak seasons you will pay more. You do take a little bit of a gamble but at this price I'll take the gamble.

Check-In:
We got there at about Noon. There was already a line but we got through pretty quickly. We tried to upgrade to a window room but the whole ship was booked. Once onboard we went to the lunch buffet. There was a huge line and we had to search for a place to sit. I started to feel a little ill so I went and sat until we could get into our room at 2pm.
I slept until it was time for the 4:30pm Muster drill. They make everyone stand on the deck, packed together like sardines. I began to feel ill again and one of the staff quickly helped me inside so I could sit. The staff was very helpful and understanding.

Our Room:
We had an interior room. Room # 4067. I have been on 2 previous cruses and had an ocean view with both of those so I was a little hesitant about an interior room. I was actually pleased with our room. When we got there we surprised to find champagne for our anniversary and a book of coupons for being repeat Royal Caribbean customers. There was a bed that was 2 singles pushed together, a small couch, table, desk, TV, hairdryer, and plenty of storage. There was no clock. With an interior it can become very easy to lose track of the time. We actually slept in really late the next day because we didn't know what time it was. As parents of a 3 year old and 1 year old we enjoyed sleeping in but soon started using room service as a wake-up call.

Dining:
We had the main dining time and sat at table 61. I actually stepped outside the box and tried new things. I enjoyed practically everything put in front of me. I wasn't very impressed with the dinner choices at the buffet. I found myself wandering really not wanting anything.

Ocho Rios:
By far my favorite stop! We decided to do an excursion. We kayaked to Dunn's River Falls, climbed the falls, and then took a catamaran back to the ship. The kayaking was challenging. I didn't know if I would be seeing my 7th anniversary by the time this was over. The falls were GORGEOUS!!! I highly recommend climbing them! The catamaran back was fun. They gave us Rum Punch and they played lots of music. We then went back to our room, got cleaned up, and walked over to Margaritaville. We enjoyed an over priced drink then began shopping. It did sprinkle starting at about 4pm but only lightly.

Grand Cayman:
My least favorite stop. We did another excursion. We decided that we wanted to go parasailing. It was fun, the whole 5 minutes we were up there, but then we had to figure out what to do. We had them drop us off at 7 mile beach and decided to walk back to town. It was much farther then we thought. Once back we ate at Breezes by the Bay and did a little shopping. Little because Grand Cayman is expensive. We were exhausted, mainly from our walk, by about 1pm so we went back to the ship for a nap. One of the worst things about Grand Cayman is there is no dock. You have to take a boat to and from the ship. It took forever waiting for it to come get us.

Cozumel:
We had been to Cozumel before on a previous cruise so we decided that this day was a day at the beach. We did the Passion Island excursion. You take a bus out to a private island that is only for cruise ship passengers who did the excursion. They provide a buffet lunch and all drinks, including beer and some specialty drinks. We laid in recliner chairs and were served Coronas, we were in heaven. It was so quite and peaceful.

Spa:
I got my hair done on formal night and found it to be well priced. I also had a massage and facial that I absolutely loved. The price of the massage and facial were a little above what I am use to paying but I figured I was on vacation, why not!

Children:
Being a parent, and thinking about possibly bringing the kids in the future, I did pay attention to children and children's activities on the ship. The kid's club was clean and well staffed. All children appeared to be having a wonderful time. I look forward to bringing my kids in the future.

Overall I had a wonderful time. The was by far my favorite of my 3 cruises. Staff was wonder, the ship was clean, food was good, ports were great!

Best Suited For: Families