Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas

Alaska on Radiance of the Seas

Jun 4, 2010

Pros:Great service; very good entertainment; exceptional cruise location; good ports.  Fun on board activities

Cons:Ship needs cleaning; recarpeting.  The food, too, was not exemplery.

The Bottom Line: Radiance has a good reputation even though it needs some attention, overall, it was a very good cruise to a get destination with attentive service.

Embarked out of San Diego on 5/8/10 for "13 Day Ultimate Alaskan Cruise" on the Radiance class ship by Royal Caribbean (RCCL).  This is our 3rd cruise, 2nd time on RCCL and 2nd time to Alaska.  Overall, this was a very nice cruise and would absolutely do it again.

The ship is in need of some attention, and updating.  Some of the public areas need a good floor cleaning and the carpeted areas need replacing.  Suppposedly this ship was renovated in 2006 --- one wouldn't think that it needs to be done again so soon.  However, when you consider that when one group disembarks, 4 hours later another group embarks...not much time for everything to be cleaned and readied for the next group of passengers.

The staterooms with balcony are very adequate and nicely decorated.  The fridge in our room did not work very well - it did not keep things cold.  We did not need it, but did notice that little fact.  When we saw that it was quite warm, the steward was very quick to have it replaced.  The replacement didn't get cold either - barely cool was the best it would do.  The bathrooms are quite cozy (translate into small).  The shower is about 30" in diameter with a water retention lip about 1-1/2" high.  Anyone with limitations or disabilities would probably have difficulty in that cozy little circle.

The public areas were redolent with lots of windows from which to enjoy the scenery as well as to socialize if you choose to do so.  There were activities from morning to late night - certainly enough for anyone to choose from.  The major of cruisers when we went were senior with a few young families.  There were activities for children as well as young adults.  The spa was very nicely decorated and was quite inviting.  The workout room was large and also had various classes available to choose from if interested.

The Dining room was comfortable and service was quite nice.  The service staff at each table is charged with learning the names of their guests on the first night.  They remember what preferences you state on that evening (i.e., which wine orother preferences, etc.)...and they do this at every cruise!  The food was not terrific.  It was "o-k" most of the time.  If you are used to good food, this would be considered only acceptable.   It was not bad by any means, but not outstanding either.  It was quite funny that we were on an Alaskan cruise at the very beginning of the salmon season and we were offered farmed Atlantic salmon on the menu, except for the next to last evening of the cruise...then we had fresh Alaskan salmon along with lobster tails and shrimp.  Steak was available on the menu every evening with a variety of sauces.  It was satisfactory.

We tried one of the 2 premier restaurants on board, Chops, for an anniversary dinner.  The food was good and, again, very artfully presented.  It was worth the $20/pp additional.

Overall, it was a good cruise.  We were comfortable, the crew did their very best in providing great service.  We will cruise with RCCL (Radiance), again.

Best Suited For: Seniors