Pros:Full of history and heritage, sand dunes, sun set
Cons:Exaggerated prices for tourist, nuisance created by the guides and auto guys
The Bottom Line: A must visit and cannot miss if you visit India.
Jaisalmer is full of heritage.
I went to Jaisalmer alone and the idea was to fully explore the heritage of the city, enjoy the sand dunes, visit the site of the Indian nuclear test and enjoy the enchanting sunsets which paint the city in the yellow aura.
- The best time to go is July through March. The temerature are usually high about 35-40 degrees celcius and it gets chilly in the night.
- The best way to go is to take a flight from Delhi or Mumbai to Jodhpur and travel to Jaisalmer by road. Others options are a direct train or coach to Jodhpur and then a coach or a taxi further.
- If possible leave early morning, so that you can have a good view of the highway and surroundings. The entire route crosses through the desert and presents an amazing view. Take an AC deluxe coach or a taxi. It is about 300 kms. from Jodhpur and takes about 5 hours.
- You can either stay in the famous walled city on a cheap accommodation. You can also stay in luxury hotels which are out of the walled city and the best ones are on "Sam Road".
- The heritage of the city dates back to 1100 AD and was an important trade route from Middle East to India in the earlier times.
- The fort is still very much intact and about 60% of city population still lives inside the walled city. Do visit Patwon Ki Haweli. It gives you a firsthand account of how the riches lived in the old times.
- If you are a foreigner, beware of the guides or the Auto rikshaws which get after your lives to hire them. Negotiate hard if you hire their services. The prices are sometimes hiked by 300 %.
- Checkout the local made handicrafts and leather stuff. You get good footwear, belts, hats and other accessories made from camel leather. Again negotiate hard for the purchase. The prices are heavily exaggerated.
- Do visit the shifting Sand Dunes which are about 50-60 kms towards the International border.
- A sunset in the sand dunes is a must watch.
- Do take out one day to visit Pokharan which is the site for the Indian nuclear test done in 1998. It’s about 60 kms south of Jaisalmer.
- No matter if you are alone or with a family, it’s an amazing place to go and spend time.
Read all 6 Reviews
Write a Review
Best Suited For: Singles
Best Time to Travel Here: Dec - Feb