Virgin Gorda

17 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

Virgin Gorda - The Fat Virgin

Oct 19, 2008

Pros:Virgin Gorda is not a place you visit once. You'll go "to come back".

Cons:The Baths can be crowded during the day. Plan to visit in the late afternoon.

The Bottom Line: First choice, charter a boat and stay aboard.  Families, stay at The Bitter End, Couples, rent a villa or cottage near the Baths.  Easter Carnival is fun.

Fly, ferry or swim to Virgin Gorda, one of the glittering crown jewels of the British Virgin Islands. Go any way you can get there, but get there. If there is one destination you don't want to miss, this is it.

When my husband and I operated a charter yacht in the BVI, our guests often declared this island to be their favorite. We tied up to the dock at Yacht Harbour in Spanish Town so we could rent a jeep and tour the island visiting secluded beaches and the Copper Mine. We'd anchor off the Baths and snorkle around the feet of giant boulders and spectacular reefs, then later while exploring with the jeep, walk down to the area to see a different perspective. If you stay on Virgin Gorda, do rent a jeep so you can explore every little nook and cranny of this beautiful place.

Virgin Gorda has many villas, small hotels, and cottages, all with spectacular views and near access to numerous beaches and snorkeling. Many times our guests would spend a week on the boat and a week at one of the resorts. Little Dix Bay and the Bitter End in North Sound were favorite choices.

Little Dix Bay would be a better choice for mature travelers wanting privacy, luxury and a more sophisticated environment while The Bitter End is more appropriate for families. The white sandy beach at Little Dix has crystal clear waters and is not crowded with anchored yachts. The island is dotted with small restaurants and folks wanting entertainment at night will always find music just around the corner at small bars and clubs.

At the Bitter End, the protected waters of North Sound await. The resort provides small sailboats, "learn to sail" programs, races, windsurfers and other watersports equipment. Nearby are good snorkeling reefs, small secluded beaches and a variety of restaurants and bars. Several watersports companies on Virgin Gorda offer scuba and snorkeling excursions as well as instruction.

Best Suited For: Couples