Champs-Elysées

The Most Famous Street in Paris

Jul 14, 2000 (Updated Jul 14, 2000)

Pros:It is one of the Most Beautiful places in the World, after dark

Cons:Touristy, and Over Priced

If I had to describe the Avenue des Champs Elysess, I would say that,if you combined The French Quarter in New Orleans, Time Square in New York City, Main Street at Disneyland, and a little bit of The World's Fair thrown in, just for fun, you would have an idea of what a day on the Camps Elysees is like.

Champs Elysees is arguably the most famous street in Paris. It is a 4 lane metropolis, a mile long and at night it looks like a Christmas Village. They don't call Paris, "The City of Lights," for nothing!

When I was in Paris, I asked around as to what activities offered the True Parisian experience. Our group read a few brochures, and we decided to go to Champs Eysees. After a few minutes, I noticed that the true French experience is surprisingly American!

Along the mile long road of French boutiques and coffee house are a Mc Donalds. The Gap, and a Chicago Pizza Factory. Of, course that is not all there is. There is a Movie Theater, and dozen and dozen of restaurants.

We ate lunch in a cafe called Le 30. It is near the side boulevard of Madeline 8. They offer French and Belgian choices. The menu mainly offers seafood, smothered in rich creme sauces. We were pleased to see that they take American credit card, such as American Express, Visa, Master Crd, and Diners Club. The meals cost 150-300 French Franc, Which converted to about 6.8 French Francs to 1 American dollar.

We also had coffee at L'Astor. I think I paid about $10.00 for a cup, of vanilla coffee, and 2 small cookies, but it was worth it. We just sat and watched people pass by.

The Avenue is in the heart of the tourist district. You can take the Metro, from anywhere in the city. You can exit at Madeline, or at Place De La Concorde. Once you are there, you can take the mile long hike up and down the street, or you can get on one of the double deck buses, for a birds eyes view.

I really wanted to ride one of the buses under the Arc, at the end of the Avenue, but the day that we were there, they were filming a movie, so they had it closed. I do remember seeing the famous L'Arc De Triophe, in several movies, such a Disney's Herbie goes to Monte Carlo, National Lampoon's European Holiday, and several James Bond Movies.

The Arc is a huge stone monument, cars can travel right through the center of it, It serves as the finish line for the French Bicycle race Tour de France.

Champs Elysees is located on the Right Bank of River Siene. It runs from L'Arc De Triophe to Place De La Concorde. Be sure to check out some of the smaller avenues that span out from the street near the Arc. The Avenue, is full of Tourist, while the smaller less populated streets, offer more of a true Parisian culture.