Musée d-Orsay

One of the many visual treats in Paris

Mar 18, 2001

Pros:The setting, the contents, the size (optimal)

Cons:Might not hold interest of young children

The Bottom Line: Both the building and the collection are memorable and exciting. It's small enough so you feel you've covered it, but can return.

If only to see how they've renovated an old train station and created a most magnificent museum, it's worth a visit. There are several floors, many magnificent pieces of art nouveau furniture and an enormous amount of nicely displayed (in smaller, separate rooms) of European art, my favorite being the impressionists. It's a manageable museum, easier to cover than the Louvre, to be sure, an impressive collection. It's an easy find, right on the banks of the Seine. You walk in and are overwhelmed by the splendor and uniqueness of the building itself before you even start looking around. At the rear of the main floor is a floor display showing Paris that's sure to interest children, who can look down in it and through it.

There are nice reports on the restaurant, but I can't speak to that as we haven't eaten here, but it's always a wonderful visit and we spend anywhere between one and two hours here, happy hours. Crowds have never been a problem as the museum is spacious and moves nicely.

Best Suited For: Singles