Mexico

Average Product Rating: Excellent

Just Beyond the Border

Jan 26, 2000

Pros:A life changing experience

Cons:Poverty

Children run through debris littered dirt paths. The stench of raw human and animal waste is overwhelming. Drinking water, bathing water, and sewage collects in the same pond. This not the typical summer vacation I was anticipating when I left my North Carolina home on June 19. I had agreed to go on a two week mission trip to Saltillo, a city about six hours south of the US border. What I experienced that summer has changed my life forever. Now don't get me wrong, not all of Mexico is like this, but if you are interested in making a difference in people's lives then this is the way to go. These precious people are so grateful for every small thing that you can do for them, that it will bring tears to your eyes. Their contentment with the poorest of conditions would be highly frowned upon in our high class society, but perhaps we should learn from them. They may not be the most well-rounded, diplomatic group of people, but the poverty and unsanitary conditions they live in is real, and we should do everything we can to reach out our hand and help them. Only by the grace of God were we not born into the very same village, or faced with the very same poverty.