Mexico

San Miguel de Allende - Where time stands still.

Nov 16, 2000

Pros:Quaint, peaceful, historic

Cons:Very narrow streets with scarce parking

Review Topic:  Overview

San Miguel de Allende is situated about 3 hours north of Mexico City in the heart of the Sierra Madre mountains. The first thing you see when you
wind down the mountain to the city below is the spire of the most beautiful church I have seen. It was built in the late 1500's by the spanish missionaries. The streets are cobble stone, and all the buildings downtown maintain their early spanish architecture that is required by the city zoning laws. Donkey's still pull carts of firewood, chickens and dogs roam the streets, street vendors line the sidewalks, and the smell of
roasted corn is in the air. At night, in the plaza, everyone gathers to converse and listen to the mariachi bands who take requests for a small fee. It is very romantic, the sights, the sounds, and the smell of flowers everywhere.
Hotels range from $30 - $150 per night. We stayed at the Posada San Franscico on the square for $40 per night. It was pretty nice for that price and has a great location (within walking distance to everything).
We crossed the border at Laredo, Texas and drove the night through (18 hours). We didn't experience any problems and the new road from Nuevo Laredo to Mexico City is very nice. It is a toll road, so be ready to pay some bucks (about $35 each way).
If your looking for a romantic get-away with very little crowds and if you enjoy old cities, San Miguel de Allende is the place!