Melbourne

Australia's forgotten City

Nov 23, 2000

Pros:excitement, nightlife and a lot to see

Cons:no tube system-

What are you wanting from travel?

Who should inform you of the places, city's?

I have been travelling for the past year around Europe and I would have given anything to be able to put The Lonely Planet book away and have someone from the city to tell me about it.

Well I am from Melbourne.

It always strikes me as quite strange that when I tell people where I come from there first response is is that near Sydney? I must admit right at this point I am rather bias towards Melbourne, Sydney and Melbourne have had a huge rivalry for years and being brought up in Melbourne from the day I was born I had it bread into me how lucky I was.

Why not! We have beautiful beeches within 30 minutes drive from the city centre, a great night life, a fantastic music scene, brilliant pubs and an awesome style of living.

So if you are on your way to Melbourne then you are in for a good time.

1. St.Kilda Esplanade - Sunny Sunday afternoons are often a great place to head down to this heavenly beach. There is a market that runs up the palm tree esplanade and a number of inline skaters. If that isn't good enough then head to the beech and take in a few rays, or head to the trendy Ackland street where you can sit in a cafe and sip Cafe Late all day. Still not enough then go to one of the fantastic pubs in the area, The Esplanade hotel is a legendary pub for music or The Prince Of Wales also does a good job.

2. City Centre, take a walk down St.Kilda road and into the Gardens across from the Entertainment Centre, follow it along and come across the race track where The Melbourne Formula 1 Gran Prix is held. Otherwise if you would like a bit more night life again there are numerous pubs, and down St.Kilda road there are a huge amount of Night Clubs.

3. Southbank - Check out the posh area of Southbank, buskers non stop, that are hugely entertaining, followed by more cafe's across the Yarra River. If the Gambling Bug hits head down to The Melbourne Casino and try your hand with some of the pokies or Black Jack. (People do actually win on the pokies, My brother has won a car there before).

4. If Sport is your thing then check out our National Game at one of the best Sporting Stadium's in the world. AFL is played at the MCG in Richmond during the winter months (make sure you do the real Aussie thing and get a meat pie with ketchup) During Summer the Cricket is played there. Aussie Rules team to follow - Richmond Tigers.

5. If you are in Melbourne During October - November try and make it to Flemmington or Caulfield for the horse races, Melbournians like the rest of Australian's are mad about placing a bet and the atmosphere is electric.

6. Go to Brunswick Street, try and see a band play in one of the many fantastic pubs that are offered here, otherwise just try and get down when the Brunswick Street festival is on. Quite a site ton see.

7. If you enjoy night clubs and late night venues but don't enjoy seeing a band, then try and check out Chapel Street, Prahran, it is full of night spots and people trying to look their best.

8. If you need to get out of the city a little, drive out to the Dandenong Ranges, amazingly peaceful forest like atmosphere.

9. Try and make it for a round of golf at many of the cheap golf courses. Prices can get as low as $10 - $15 Aus dollars to play a round.

10. Make a little trip outside of Melbourne but still in Victoria, to Portsea where there are fantastic beeches and good night life. A bit of longer drive is to go to Lorne where again great beeches and close to Bells Beech the surfers paradise.

Why not do it now while the $Aus is so low.