Melbourne

The Culturally Green City

May 31, 2000

Pros:Green, Culture

Cons:None

Not only is Melbourne the greenest city in Australia, it also is the cultural center of this majestic country. It offers so much to the people that live there and to those who visit. The eleven years I spent in Melbourne are the most memorable and cherished years of my life. The only reason I left was that my family relocated due to a job situation. I still remember those years as a kid running through the safe suburbs of the city and enjoying the grandeur of the city scenery.

From the world famous Melbourne Arts Center with the unique cone top to the Melbourne Cricket Ground where the country’s biggest sports events are held, this city gives the visitor a glimpse of all that Australia has to offer. The Melbourne Arts Center houses most of the city’s new theatre experiences along with all of the country’s new concerts, much like Broadway and Madison Square Garden combined. The unmistakable orange top leads you into Australia’s best performances. Just around the corner is the Flinders Street train station which takes anyone with a couple of coins to almost anywhere within a thirty mile radius.

In that downtown area, which Australians call “the city,” houses all types of cultural eatery and shopping. From the Greek population to Chinatown, it displays Melbourne’s diverse background. This place is also the shopping center of the state with thousands of stores displaying all types of products for the consumer. Here, you will see the many trams run through the streets as pedestrian walk right next to them enjoying the atmosphere.

Away from the downtown area, luscoius green surrounds the suburbs. Victoria is appropriately named the garden state and Melbourne is the capital of all the greenery. With its many botanical gardens and its thousands of trees along the sidewalks, every breath of air is fresh. This only a slice of what Melbourne offers. With its limitless beaches and a beautiful harbor, it takes at least a week to tour the city.