Macon

Love It At Len Berg's

Oct 12, 2000

Pros:Excellent food in a quaint, historic site.

Cons:Not for dinner!

Review Topic:  Restaurants

Last spring when I was at "home" I was saddened to learn that Len Berg's no longer serves an evening meal. Just at lunch now, you can enjoy dining at this Macon "Tradition."

As long as I can remember, (and that covers 65 years at least), Len Berg's has been in the Macon Post Office Alley. It has served many a diner in those "little booths" and on the stools at the front dining bar.

Once when I was a little girl and on what was the first time I remember eating "out" my Daddy took me to Len Berg's to eat. I remember sitting on one of those stools beside my Daddy and eating Chicken Noodle soup on a cold December day. It was during the Great Depression and it may have been the best my Daddy could afford at the time. I didn't know about those things then though.

Since then and after I grew up, I have eaten many times at Len Berg's. The food has never failed to be delicious! My favorite evening meal there was the little Fillet of Beef served with a Tossed Green salad and Len's Berg's special French Dressing and their FRESH French fries. Yummy! Now, they no longer serve the Fillet of Beef. They do still have that wonderful Macaroon Pie they are so famous for and, with real Whipped Cream on top. Yummy! Yummy! Nowhere I have ever eaten has been able to duplicate that still secret recipe.

Len Berg's does still serve delicious Salmon Croquettes, Cream Style Corn and Turnip Greens on their lunch menu along with their famous little Corn Stick Cornbread and Rolls. They also have a good variety of other delicious entrees and side dishes. The coffee and iced tea are excellent.

Some of the employees have been with Len Berg's for many years. Hanging in the hallway is a time worn and browning portrait of "Stonewall" Jackson and Robert E. Lee. Beside the door is a buzzer bell to ring to "Praise the Cook."

Macon has some Len Berg Pick-Up Meal sites around town, but nothing tastes the same as it does in that little restaurant in the Macon Post Office Alley.