Illinois

Spoon River Scenic Drive Fall Festival

Sep 26, 2000

Pros:Country Crafts and Great Food!

Cons:Scenic is deceptive

Review Topic:  Events & Festivals

Ah, the Spoon River Scenic Drive Fall Festival! It conjures up all sorts of idyllic thoughts in your imagination, doesn't it? A scenic ride out in the country along the tree-shaded Spoon River, right? Well, those were the dreams I had running through my mind when I first heard about this drive. In case you've never heard of the Spoon River, it became nationally known in the work of Edgar Lee Masters, author of the well-known book "Spoon River Anthology".

The Truth Revealed!

I'll let you in on a little secret. Pull up a little closer. Nobody else around? OK! The Spoon River Scenic Drive Fall Festival is really a secret code name for "Small Town-to-Town Craft Show"! The drive and Fall Festival takes place annually in Fulton County Illinois, not to be confused with the city of Fulton, Illinois. Personally I didn't find the drive very scenic. It consists mostly of state highways winding through miles of cornfields. I think we might have actually run across the Spoon River a couple of times on our drive, but it was not exactly a memorable site. However, the scenery isn't really why people go on this drive.

So Why Do So Many People Go Then?

What really draws over 100,000 people from all over the area is the HUGE, and I mean HUGE, craft shows held in the small towns included on "the drive". The towns included on the "scenic drive" are: London Mills, Avon, Middlegrove, Farmington, Fairview, Ellisville, Mount Pisgah Park, Smithfield, Cuba, Canton, Lewistown, Bernadotte, Duncan Mills, Waterford, Ipava, Astoria, Vermont and Table Grove. In addition to the craft shows, food has become another favorite draw to the area. Wonderful homemade apple butter, butterfly pork chops, funnel cakes and all sorts of other specialties are offered in the various small towns.

The Experience is Worth the Drive

Now while the "drive" may not be a scenic drive, it is a great weekend drive in the country and if you have an interest in country or homemade arts and crafts, you certainly wouldn't want to miss this Fall Festival. Awesome would be the adjective I would use to describe it! I'm not a big arts and crafts fan, but you have to experience this Fall Festival at least once in your life to believe it! So many people come to the festival, that they have to hold it on two consecutive weekends to accommodate all of the people who attend! The 32nd annual festival will be held on October 7-8 and 14-15 in the year 2000. If you need a place to stay overnight, there are accommodations in the area, but call ahead to make a reservation.

More Information

There are a number of web sites featuring details about the annual Spoon River Scenic Drive's Fall Festival. The best one I've found is located at: http://www.spoonriverdrive.org/

Thanks for reading!