South Philadelphia

Don't miss the Italian market!

Nov 8, 1999

Pros:Great atmosphere, fantastic food

Cons:A little out of the way

The Italian market is a staple of South Philly and the center of the Italian neighborhood. It's a great place to wander around by foot for a couple of hours. The atmosphere is truly incredible, and if you're like me you'll start to picture Rocky Balboa jogging up the street at dawn...

The numerous outside stalls full of fresh products are great, but I think the real treat is inside the specialty stores: you'll see more types of cheeses, of meats, of olives, than you thought existed, in a setting somewhat reminiscent of pre-WWII America, with sausages hanging from the ceilings and Italian-speaking clerks...

The prices are good, too. I recommend visiting the market around lunchtime, when you can make a meal of it! There are a few restaurants in the area, but I much prefer to taste the stores' products while walking.

The market runs on south 9th Street, starting on Christian Street. If you're going to walk there from Center City, make sure you're going first to 9th Street then south, as opposed to first south then across to 9th which I hear is unsafe (note: I've always felt totally safe in the market itself). It's open every day, but is especially active on weekends.