Memphis

Who Has The Best Ribs in Memphis?

Apr 1, 2000

Pros:Great ribs, huge portions, great service.

Cons:No wine or caffeine-free diet soda, long wait.

According to Memphis Magazine, Corky's has been voted the #1 Bar-B-Q in Memphis for 14 straight years. Corky's has been featured in USA Today, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and Bon Appetit magazine-and it deserves the notoriety. "Pitmaster Extrordinaire" Robert Moye has been making Bar-B-Q for forty years and he has mastered the process! I recently wrote a review about Rendezvous (also famous for ribs in Memphis), which I loved. However, I truly believe that Corky's has the best ribs in Memphis! An Epinion review by carolynmarie (an epinion that I heartily recommend) gave me the idea to try this suburban restaurant on a recent business trip to Memphis.

At Corky's, I had the dry ribs and my business companion chose the wet. Both were outstanding! The meat was lean and tender, the sauces were tangy, the rub was perfect-and the portions were HUGE! We ordered the regular portions and they sure looked like a full rack each to me. I can't imagine what the large order is like. I was reduced to taking half mine back to the hotel in a doggie bag-although my companion managed to just about finish his off! The ribs are served with a large mound of tangy coleslaw and a moderate sized serving of oven baked beans. It was all great. They also served a basket of rolls that were warm, soft on the outside and crispy on the inside and tasted like they were made with real butter (I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I couldn't finish my ribs)! The ribs cost $9.99 for the regular serving, $12.99 for large and $16.99 for a "back" with set-ups for 2. This meal is a great value at these prices! They serve a "killer" portion of ribs or chicken with ribs for $13.99-they advertise this as "only for the macho!"

In addition to the ribs, Corky's menu includes:
-sandwiches: Bar-B-Q pork, beef or chicken for prices ranging from $2.99 to $4.49,
-salads: a house salad for $2.99 or Bar-B-Q pork or beef salad for $5.99 or $6.99),
-dinners: Bar-B-Q pork, beef brisket or chicken served with beans slaw and rolls for $6.99 to $7.49,
-specials: including hot tamales, Texas style chili, chicken drummies, spaghetti, or Bar-B-Q shrimp for prices ranging from $2.69 to $10.99, and
-desserts: including fudge pie, pecan pie and apple cobbler each for $2.59 (I can't imagine anybody finishing dinner and going on to finish a dessert-but I saw some people attempting it!).

This restaurant is truly flexible in getting Bar-B-Q out to just about anybody who wants it! They have a children's section on the menu, a section which allows take-out orders in "bulk" and they do catering! You can even buy gift certificates! They have a color brochure that you can take or send to a friend so that you can order virtually anything that they make and have it shipped to your home by FedEx! I love these guys!!

We were at Corky's on a week night at about 7:30 pm and parking was tight, but available. We had a solid 30 minute wait but it was well worth it! The hostess and the wait help were all personable and helpful. The service was rapid and the food came out really quickly. My only real complaint was the selection of beverages. They offer several kinds of beer and soda-but no caffeine-free diet soda and no wine. I ended up drinking water-which wouldn't have been so bad but they ran out of ice at the bar and the bartender poured my water from the faucet at a sink! It was kind of tacky!

Like carolynmarie, I still say that Corky's is the best Bar-B-Q in Memphis (she actually says that it is the best in the South! What do we New Englanders know about Bar-B-Q throughout the South?) YES: I think that it is better than the Bar-B-Q at Rendezvous! Corky's is open 7 days a week. You can find out more about their fabulous Bar-B-Q by checking them out at www.corkysbbq.com.