Nashville

Nashville, TN ~ a GREAT place to live and a fun place to visit!

Sep 27, 2001 (Updated Sep 27, 2001)

Pros:lots to do, fun place, nice people

Cons:many places crowded

The Bottom Line: Nashville, TN is the greatest city in the world. There is lots to do here!

I live in Hermitage, TN, which is about 15 minutes east of downtown Nashville. I have lived in Nashville all of my life and can't think of anywhere else in the world that I would rather live. I love it here. It is also a great place to visit. There is something here for everyone. Some like to shop, some are interested in historical things, some like romance and there are plenty of things for the kids. I'd like to tell you about some of the things to do in Nashville. There are many more things to do, but this will give you an idea of what we have to offer here.

For the historical person...

Belle Meade Plantation is an 1853 mansion that has been restored to the elegance of the Victorian era. You will also see an 1890 carriage house and stable, 1790 log cabin and 6 outbuildings. You go on a guided tour with someone dressed in costume.

Open Monday-Saturday 9:00-5:00
5025 Harding Road
Nashville, TN 37205
(615) 356-0501

Cheekwood was once the private home of the Leslie Cheek family. It is a 3 story Georgian style mansion with 55 acres of luxurious lawns, woodlands and gardens. It has flowering trees, wildflowers, roses, perennial borders and display gardens. There is also a Japanese garden, herb study garden and greenhouse.

At Christmas time the house if filled with Christmas trees decorated as a tribute to countries all over the world. Cheekwood is a place that most schools take their children on a field trip to. When I was in school I went here several times and always found it interesting.

Open Monday-Saturday 9:00-5:00
Sunday 1:00-5:00

1200 Forrest Park Street
Nashville, TN 37205
(615) 356-8800

The Hermitage, former home of President Andrew Jackson

Tour the beautiful mansion, gardens, original log cabins, family carriage, and tombs of the President and family. To see my complete review of the Hermitage see http://www.epinions.com/content_39092063876.

Open daily 9:00-5:00

4580 Rachel's Lane
Hermitage, TN 37076
(615) 889-2941

Adults $8 Children 6-18 $4

The Parthenon is located inside the beautiful Centennial Park. It is the only full-scale replica of the Greek Parthenon. It is an amazing site to see.

Open Tuesday-Saturday 9:00-4:30
Adults $2.50

Centennial Park
Board of Parks & Recreation
Nashville, TN 37201

Ride the trolley from Music Row to Downtown Nashville. See all of the sites along the way. It is .85 each way.

The Arcade is a covered shopping street in the heart of downtown Nashville. There are stores, restaurants and a post office. When I worked downtown I used to love to go eat there for lunch. This was made after like an arcade in Italy.

For the romantic...

The General Jackson is the largest showboat in the world. It is a $12,000,000 boat that holds 1,200 passengers. It is named after the 1st steamboat to arrive in Nashville in 1819. There are morning, midday and evening cruises offered down the Cumberland River. You will enjoy 3 course dinners, musicians, comedians and stage productions.

The Broadway Dinner Train leaves Riverfront Park for a 2 1/2 hour trip. Enjoy dinner and good entertainment. Confirm your reservation in advance by calling (615) 254-8000.

108 First Avenue South

For the kids...

The Nashville Zoo at Grassmere has 800 exotic animals and endangered species. It is over 50 acres and has the largest community built playground in the state. Kids will enjoy a jungle gym, tree house, swinging bridges, giant tunnels, walkways, spiraling slides and rope ladders.

3777 Nolensville Road
Nashville, TN 37211
(615) 833-1534

Adults $6 Children & Seniors $4 Parking $2

The Cumberland Science Museum has 100 hands on exhibits, live animal shows and science demonstrations. This is another thing that most schools take the kids on a field trip. I was a chaperone last year when my son's first grade class went here. My son and his class enjoyed it very much.

(615) 862-5160

Museums...

The Toy Museum has 150 years worth of toys. You will see 100 year old steamers, model trains, antique dolls, wind up trains, 10-ft. model ships and planes.

It is open daily 9:00-5:00.

2613 McGavock Pike
(615) 391-3516

email: train1218@aol.com

The Music Valley Car Museum features George Jones' 1981 DeLorean, Elvis Presley's 1960 solid gold Cadillac, Barbara Mandrell's Rolls Royce, Dolly Parton's Cadillac and much more.

2611 McGavock Pike
Nashville, TN 37214

The Music Valley Wax Museum has over 60 wax figures of country and western stars all wearing the entertainers original clothing. In the front of the store in the parking lot there is a special section where many country stars have their hand and foot prints along with signature done in cement. That is really interesting to me.

2515 McGavock Pike
(615) 883-3612

Comdey & Theatre...

Zanies is a comedy club that offers the best stand up comedy in Nashville. Dinner is served also on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday at 6:30 p.m. and Friday & Saturday at 6 p.m. Shows are Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday at 8:30 and
Friday at 8:00 & 10:00 and Saturday at 7:00, 9:00 and 11:15. You must be 18 years old to go here. Tickets can be purchased online at ticketmaster.com

2025 8th Avenue South
Nashville, TN
(615) 269-0221

The Municipal Auditorium is a place in downtown Nashville that has housed many exhibits, sports events, religious crusades, auto shows, school events, circuses, concerts and competions.

Chaffin's Barn Dinner Theatre is the oldest professional theatre in Middle TN with 33 years under it's belt. They offer a buffet style meal with a live play.

8204 Highway 100

Reservations: 1-800-282-2276
Ticket Sales: sales@dinnertheatre.com
Info: info@dinnertheatre.com

For the Country Music Fan...

The Country Music Hall of Fame is now in their new $37,000,000 building in the heart of downtown Nashville. There is over 40,000 square foot of space. Enjoy live entertainment daily. You will see old film clips, costumes, manuscripts, guitars and other personal memorabilia. On display is Alan Jackson's water ski used in "Chattahoochee". There is also a full service restaurant.

Adults $14.95
Children 6-15 $7.95
under 6 free

Open daily 10:00-6:00.

222 Fifth Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37203
(615) 416-2001

Reservations: 1-800-852-6437

The Grand Ole Opry offers weekly country music stars. You will find new stars, big stars and country music legends. The Opry has offered 75 years of country music, which is the longest running radio program. Also visit the Grand Ole Opry Museum where you will find collectibles from Lorrie Morgan, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Vince Gill and more.

2802 Opryland Drive
(615) 889-3060

Also visit...

The Hard Rock Cafe of Nashville is located in the heart of downtown Nashville. It opened June 21, 1994. There is a 140 ft. mural of a guitar painted on the side of the building.

Open Sunday-Thursday 11:00 am-11:00 pm
Friday & Saturday 11:00 am-midnight

100 Broadway
(615) 742-9000

The BellSouth Tower is the tallest building in Tennessee. It is located in the heart of downtown and is sometimes called "The Batman Building" because of the way it is built. Channel 5 News has a skycam from the building providing a stunning view.

Opryland Hotel is a beautiful place to visit even if you can't afford to stay the night there. Here are some of the different things at the hotel to see:

The Magnolia has a dramatic staircase, a fireplace, unique shops, restaurants and several ballrooms.

The Garden Conservatory has an indoor garden, waterfalls, restaurants and shops.

The Cascades is absolutely gorgeous. You will find a 4 story cascading waterfall. There is also a revolving lounge, seafood restaurant, dancing waters, a laser enhanced fountain show and a spectacular tropical garden under a glass roof.

The Delta is a glass-domed area that has a waterfall. You will find Delta Island shops, restaurants, meeting rooms, and an 85 ft. high fountain with a view of Old Hickory Steakhouse.

2800 Opryland Drive
(615) 889-1000

As you can tell there is plenty to do in Nashville and much more than is even listed here. I could go on all day about how great Nashville is. It's a neat place to live with lots of country stars living here too! Come and visit sometime; I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Best Suited For: Families