Texas Panhandle

Lubbock Who?

Oct 13, 2002

Pros:Nice people, dry air, little to no traffic, Texas Tech

Cons:Big attractions are hard to come by, dust/allergies, middle of nowhere

The Bottom Line: A great place to live. It's definitely worth a visit if you're passing through.

I have been a proud resident of Lubbock, Texas for over ten years now. For me to write a review that truly paints a detailed picture of all that Lubbock is about would probably take me a few weeks to write. So, in order to save us all a little time, I will do my best to give you a brief but solid overview of this city. Hope you enjoy it.

Where on Earth?
That's what I thought when I first heard the name, Lubbock. Where the heck is Lubbock? It's in Texas. Yeah, that really narrows it down. If you pull out a map, look up in the panhandle (that's the big square part in the northwest of Texas). You see Amarillo? Look down a couple inches. There we are! Hi! Lubbock is a medium size city with a population that is slowly approaching 200,000. We should be getting a Krispy Kreme here pretty soon. Yeah!!

Why Move There?
Good question. Chances are, if you live in Lubbock, you have something to do with Texas Tech University. Either that, or you just love Buddy Holly. Aside from these, Lubbock offers affordable property values, plenty of job opportunities, and a great environment to raise a family in.

Texas Tech University
Home of the Red Raiders, Marsha Sharp (women's basketball), Bobby Knight (men's basketball), the Goin' Band from Raiderland, and several other titles you may have heard of. This is a full size four-year university that offers nearly every degree imaginable. Some of its specialties include medical, law, business, engineering, and music. Tech is one of the few universities that has its own hospital, UMC (University Medical Center). As for music, I was personally a member of the Red Raider Goin' Band which has been nationally recognized by several organizations as one of the best. Of course they offer more than marching band: vocal, orchestra, regular band. "Tradition" is also a big pull for Tech. The sports teams, band, cheerleaders, pom squad, everyone plays a big part in letting the world know who Tech is.

Other Colleges
Lubbock actually has 4 main colleges altogether: Lubbock Christian University, Wayland Baptist University, South Plains College, and Texas Tech. I have only attended one of them but have heard good things about them all.

Buddy Holly
Another big attraction for Lubbock is its musical history. Buddy Holly ("Peggy Sue, Peggy Sue, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, Peggy Sue") is Lubbock's claim to fame as it is his hometown. In the downtown Depot District (see below) Lubbockites have built a Buddy Holly center dedicated to the man himself. To this day people will tell you that Buddy Holly is the reason Lubbock is on the map.

The Depot District
This is the place to be when night falls. Here bands and musical artists of all genres play their hardest night after night in hopes of reliving that "Buddy Holly" glory. Several bars, nightclubs, and restaurants can be found bustling with people of all ages (mostly over 21). Another one of Lubbock's trademarks is the Cactus Theater, located in the Depot District. This is another great place for live music and theater productions. I know that someone else has written a great review on it. You might check it out.

Big Events
Forth on Broadway, the Texas Tech Carol of Lights, the South Plains Fair, Broadway productions, and about a dozen world famous performers. These are a few of the main attractions that entertain the residents of Lubbock every year. Texas Tech was recently able to approve the construction of the United Spirit Arena where Lubbock is now able to seat mass audiences for big-name artists like Britney Spears, Elton John, Creed, Kiss, and many more. As a result of the arena's construction, Tech was also able to convert its old basketball coliseum into an ice hockey arena where the minor league Cotton Kings take the throne.

Other Things To Do
The Caprock Winery is one of Lubbock's historical businesses in which you can tour and taste different wines. We have Joy Land, a small theme park with a roller coaster, water slides and about twenty other rides. Texas Tech provides two museums, one of which is the outdoor Ranching Heritage Museum. Here you can step back in time and tour old barns and houses of the pioneer days. We have two major movie theaters, a huge Putt-Putt miniature golf course, a ton of restaurants, the largest single-story mall in Texas (or something like that), and a park on nearly every corner.

City Overview
One of Lubbock's best attributes is its modest population. Rush hour is more like 15 minutes long. Loop 289 encircles the entire city, making it possible to get anywhere in Lubbock in about 5-10 minutes. Traffic jams do not exist here. If you are religious, welcome to the Bible-belt. Talk about a church on every corner; we have plenty of churches of all denominations and faiths. Lubbock is also a very inexpensive place to live with its low property values, small size, and even spread of commercial property. And, if you have kids, I really do not think there is a better place to raise a family: plenty of schools, parks, day cares, libraries, etc. If you are in need of work? With two hospitals, four colleges, and a booming commercial industry, you should be able to find something to your liking.

Final Words
Lubbock is a great place to live. That's the bottom line really. It's not a big city, and it's not a small town; it's just right. Stop by and visit us sometime.

Best Suited For: Families