Virginia

THE 'RAIL STOP' RESTAURANT, THE PLAINS, VA

Aug 15, 2000

Pros:FOOD, WINE, SERVICE

Cons:DISTANCE

NOTE: THIS IS A REVIEW OF THE 'RAIL STOP' RESTAURANT, NOT ABOUT THE PLAINS, VA.

Located on Main Street in The Plains, VA, Robert Duval's 'Rail Stop' Restaurant would barely be noticed by an unsuspecting visitor. The restaurant is small and tucked between a row of small shops, and unless specifically searching for it, you will certainly have missed it.

The Plains is a very small town located in the heart of Virginia Hunt Country between Middleburg and Warrenton, a stone's throw off Route 66, or about an hours drive from Washington D.C.

The restaurant itself, small and informal, and not particularly promising from the outside, makes your trip even more worthwhile. The service is attentive and friendly, and although we had reservations, I am not sure they are needed. The atmosphere is okay, I wouldn't consider it particularly special. Some outside seating is available.

The menu itself its somewhat limited but offers a good variety, the medium price for an entree is approximately $18 to $19. Salads are additional. The selection of appetizers seemed adequate, but we did not order any.

My selection was Manicotti, probably the best I've had anywhere, filled with the most scrumptious combination of cheeses, spinach and, interestingly enough, tiny pieces of nuts. My mouth waters as I remember it! As salad I chose their tomato salad, an excellent mix of sliced red and yellow tomatoes sprinkled with fresh basil and flakes of goat cheese.

The rest of our group ordered crab cakes (Robert Duvals's mother's secret recipe) and breast of chicken with polente. I was fortunate enough to steal a taste of each, and can say that I found those dishes excellent as well. I can assure you that no one left disappointed!

Only one of us opted for dessert, a light, delicious key lime tart. The rest of us opted for the traditional coffee with a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream, and a most generous shot it was!

Bravo, Robert Duval, (we understand that his girl friend is in charge of the restaurant) and thank you for giving us the opportunity for having such a wonderful dining experience.