Cedar Point

Cedar Point= Total Amusement Park Package.

Sep 21, 2003 (Updated Nov 16, 2003)

Pros:Safe, smooth, and thrilling rides for all ages!

Cons:Long lines, outdated ride reservations system.

The Bottom Line: I would recommend this to anyone who loves thrills. It is a great bargain for what you get.

This weekend I was able to go to Cedar Point, and I was not disappointed. As an employee for 2 central Florida theme parks, I always enter a park with high expectations towards my experience.

Cedar Point is located in Sandusky, Ohio. It is located on the edge of Lake Erie midway between Cleveland and Toledo.Take the Ohio Turnpike (I-80) to Exit 118(7) and follow the signs north on U.S. 250, or take Exit 110(6A) and follow Route 4 north. Once you get to Sandusky, just follow the signs to the Cedar Point Causeway.

While the 2004 gate prices have not been released, we were able to buy discount tickets in Detroit for $32. Many local grocery stores offer tickets at a discounted rate, so I would definitely call the local stores to see what the rates are running at.

My main motivation for Cedar Point was for the roller coasters. Cedar Point has done a fine job of taking some of the world's best roller coasters and put them in a single park. My only complaint was that the lines were less than desirable (on average about an hour plus for the good coaster).

Like most theme parks, CP has their own system of line reservations called FreeWay(aka Express, FastPass, and Q-bot). However, instead of a machine, CP uses hand stamps. When you arrive at the kiosk next to the attraction, they will stamp your hand with the name of the attraction and returning time frame. Once you have returned during the attraction during that time, they will stamp your hand once again to show that you have used the "Freeway". The stamp is actually pretty big (takes almost the whole hand), and the other side is you can only get two Freeway stamps per day. Hopefully by next season they will come up with a more efficient system.

The rides themselves were tremendous. Top Speed Thrills Dragster did not open until a few hours after park opening. From what I could see, they were having technical difficulties. Millenium Force had a downtime as well for about an hour, but we experienced no other downtimes for that day.

The ride attendants universally did an excellent job. They were always clear with hand signals, attentive of their surroundings, and checked every seat thoroughly and efficiently. To most this would seem a minor detail, but it is the ride attendants whose responsibilities that we are safe while on the ride. For all of the high speed and high thrill rides I had several attendants verify that I would not wear my glasses on the ride.

The rides themselves were well maintained. I normally hate wooden roller coasters because they're so bumpy and jerky. You can tell how well a ride is maintained by how smooth it will stay with age. Even some of the older steel coasters had minimal bumping, as well as the wooden coasters.

As far as family entertainment there was no shortage of children's rides/entertainment. There were plenty of rides for the little ones spread throughout the park. For those who are not fond of roller coasters, but love other types of rides, there was a great variety of carnival type rides to choose from.

I can not give any reviews on the merchandise shops or the food places, as I did not use them. However, overall I noticed a very pleasant attitude on part of the staff and would recommend this park for anyone seeking thrills of all ages.

If you are looking for more park information, you can go to their website at www.cedarpoint.com On the site you'll find information on the rides, park hours, directions, and more.