Cedar Point

Cedar Point Ohio-An Amusement Park For Everyone

Sep 9, 2001 (Updated Nov 4, 2001)

Pros:ride variety, roller coasters, wide range activities

Cons:poor stroller rental, long lines, some rest rooms not real clean

The Bottom Line: Well worth the money and trip, Cedar Point is sure to please just about everyone in your family.

ADMISSION & PARKING

TICKETS
*For the 2001 season
Admission is based on a combination of height and age. Height wise because the taller a person is the more rides they will be able to ride on due to height restrictions. Age because very young children can not ride much, and seniors are given a discount.

48” tall and up: $29.99
Less than 48 inches tall: $19.99
Children 3 and under: free
Seniors: $23.00

Discount Tickets
Discounted tickets to Cedar point are available. We purchased ours for $29.75 through AAA. You have to be an AAA member to purchase at t his price. Some of the hotels offer discount tickets to their guests. We stayed at the Hotel Breakers and were able to purchase one-day tickets for $30.00 each. They only set regular admission tickets at the hotel though, not seniors or specials. They must be purchased at the gate.

PARKING
There is a $7.00 parking fee to park in the Cedar Point parking lots. If you are a guest at the onsite hotels this will be refunded to you.

Attendants direct you to where they want you to park. The parking lot area is very large. Due to this, you will most likely have a long walk from the parking lot to the park entrance. If you have a handicap-parking permit be sure to show it so you can be parked closer to the park entrance.

If you like to park elsewhere to avoid paying a parking fee, please note many businesses have posted signs warning no Cedar Point parking allowed.

THE RIDES
There is a ride for everyone at Cedar Point. Young, old, and young at heart. Thrill seekers, non-thrill seekers, and those not so sure of where they fall in the mix.

INFANTS
While most people don’t go to Cedar Point so their infant can enjoy the rides, there are some rides they are allowed on. Infants can go on the carousels. However they need to be held by an adult sitting in a seat, not on a moving animal. They can also ride on the antique cars.

If you do have an infant with you, be sure to register at the front gate for a pass that allows you and your partner to take turns riding on rides, without having to go back to the end of the line.

TODDLERS/PRESCHOOLERS
I did not think there would be much for my just turned three-year-old to do, but there was. She loved the Kiddie area. She rode little motorcycles, cars, airplanes, and carousels to her hearts content. Or at least until nap time over whelmed her.

SCHOOL AGE
Camp Snoopy is filled with rides these kids will enjoy. The children can ride a small roller coaster, and buy a picture of themselves riding it at the end. There are face painting booths, hair braiding and painting booths, and caricature booths located in this portion of the park. There are bumper cars and other rides this age group can enjoy, all in their own little area of the park.

THRILL SEEKERS
Nobody has more roller coasters than Cedar Point. And, when you tire of the coasters there are still more rides to enjoy. The Power Tower will send you plunging to the ground, or throw you up in the air if you prefer. You must ride it twice to get the full experience. The Demon Drop will drop you to Earth, or the floor can drop from beneath you as you spin around in the Witches Wheel.

NON THRILL SEEKERS
If you’d rather keep your stomach in your abdomen, rather than in your chest, do not despair. Not all rides leave you screaming. Take a ride in the Gondolas from the front to the middle of the park. There is a great view of the park, and of the lake. For an even better view take a ride up in the “space needle“. It slowly revolves giving a spectacular view of the surroundings. If heights are not your thing, take a drive in the antique cars, a spin on the carousel.

Don’t like rides you say? Go see a show! Many live shows occur at Cedar Point. You can watch diving, dancing, singing, whatever you like.

HANDICAP ACCESSIBILITY
There are ramps at each ride that allow for wheel chair access at the end of each ride too. We saw several families wheel people up (children & adults), and then remove the person from the wheel chair to ride.

THE ROLLER COASTERS
No review of Cedar Point could ever be complete without mention of the amazing roller coasters. I, personally, prefer to keep off of them. My 12-year-old son however thinks otherwise. So, I’ve been on a few, and he’s told me about the rest.

Cedar Point is commonly referred to as the roller coaster capital of the world. With all of the sprawling coasters, riding them all could take a full day.

*Millennium Force: How tall and fast is this ride? Too much for me.

*The Gemini: Two tracks, side by side, with cars roaring down them. Twice the foolishness. Twice the fun.

*The Corkscrew: Upside down, inside out, and doing it again. For some reason, this is my favorite. I love it. Much better than all those long, steep hill rides.

*The Miners Ride: More my speed, this one features one small drop, another drop that is slightly longer, and a bunch of turns. While not a smooth ride, this one is a nice starter for the kiddos.

*The Raptor: Lets hang. Feet dangling fun as you are twisted around.

*I will be adding more to the list, as there are many more but I must ask my son for more information.

LODGING
There are lodging facilities close to the park for any budget. Short on cash? You can camp! Heavy on cash? Stay at a “luxury resort”. Large family? Stay at a hotel with suites. Need a little romance? Get a jacuzzi room.

With many of the major chains just outside of the park, in Sandusky, and in surrounding communities, finding a place to stay at should not be difficult. The closer you get to the park, the more sold out the rooms become though. There are even on-site hotels, such as the Breakers you can stay at. All though, these tend to book up, so call ahead.

MISCELLANEOUS

*MAPS
There are two types of maps for the park. Fold up paper maps are available at the hotels and park entrances. Located within the park are large stationary maps showing your current location and the rest of the park.

Both maps include the themed areas, larger rides (like the roller coasters), rest rooms, stroller rental, food booths, park entrances, medical area, and lockers.

*RESTROOMS
There are restrooms located through out the park. Some cleaner than others, none of them as clean as they could be. There always seemed to be toilet paper on the floors, and many wet floors. A bathroom attendant, or even hourly cleaning, would be appropriate considering the vast number of people that use these rest rooms.

*STROLLER/WAGON RENTAL
You can rent strollers or wagon at the park entrance or at Camp Snoopy. Camp Snoopy sells out very quickly though. Upon rental you pay a deposit, and a rental fee. Part is returned to you when you return the item.

The strollers are hard plastic and do not recline. They are more suited for a toddler or preschooler than an infant. Stroller rental was around $10.00 for the day, and then you got a small refund when you returned the stroller.

The wagons are Little Tikes, and are much more useful and comfortable than the strollers in my opinion. The seats unfold leaving a flat surface for a tired child to take a nap in. You can also store items in the wagon while walking around. Wagon rental was around $15.00 for the day and you received a small refund when the wagon was returned.

*ON SITE MEDICS
Driving around in their little carts with a swirling light is the on site medic team. They are there to respond if you call for help. Not necessarily quickly though. We saw a lady collapse, and it took 20 minutes for help to arrive after we reported it to park workers. Fortunately, she was ok, but that still is a long time to wait for help.

*LOCKERS
Lockers can be rented at the front entrance, or near Millennium Force. If you are planning on riding the rides you may want to get one to keep any extras, including game prizes stuffed in. It’s much more convenient than leaving the park to stow your goodies. Just remember the lockers are not very big. And, there are not a whole lot of them and it is first come first serve.

*LOST CHILDREN
Lost children are taken to one of two designated spots to play while they wait for parents to show up. These are shown on the maps.

*PETS
Pets are not allowed inside Cedar Point. There is a pet check station outside of the park though; you can board your pet in during the day. This is not intended for overnight boarding.

MY THOUGHTS

Next year we may go for season passes. There is a lot to do for everyone in the family. And while two days may be needed to ride everything during peak season, one day can usually get you on all of the rides.

Parts of the park are starting to show their age, with some chipping paint, and older restrooms, but a good cleaning and painting job could easily spruce it up.
We had a great time. Everyone from my three-year-old, to the 20 somethings, to the grandparents enjoyed the two day visit to Cedar Point. It is the amusement park to visit in the Midwest.