Lake Compounce

Lake Compounce - NEVER AGAIN!

Jun 13, 2002 (Updated Jun 13, 2002)

Pros:Free,unlimited soda all day long

Cons:Small, expensive, not too many good rides...

The Bottom Line: Try Lake Compounce if you are sick of Six Flags New England.....

I had a few free passes to Lake Compounce. I hadn't been there since I was a kid, so I figured, Six Flags New England isn't so great, let's see what Lake Compounce is all about. Thank goodness I got in for free....

Never again will I go to Lake Compounce, not even if I can get in for free. I am an amusement park enthusiast, and believe me, on a scale from one to ten, this park was close to a one. Yes, it's clean, yes, there are rides, yes they have restaurants and fast food, but the admission price is outrageous, the few rides they have aren't thrillers, and the water park isn't so much fun.

Not too long ago, the Lake added a couple new rides, which include the Zoomerang and Boulderdash, two roller coasters. I couldn't go on the Zoomerang when we were there because if was closed for repair. Just to get through the Boulderdash line was a hike! The coaster wasn't too bad, not as thrilling as some others that I've been on, but it was a roller coaster nonetheless. Take a look at the ride list:

Boulderdash - a roller coaster that runs along the side of a mountain
Sky Coaster - ride by yourself or with friends on this bungee-jump experience (additional fee required)
Thunder Rapids - a 7 person raft taking you on the white water rapids
Zoomerang - a roller coaster with two 1/2 corkscrews, a 180 degree loop that goes forwards and backwards
Splash Harbor - water park with some slides and a new ride called Mammoth Falls which is a family raft ride
Compounce Mt. Sky Ride - A 30 minute round trip ride that takes you to the top of the mountain
Wildcat Coaster - a traditional wooden coaster
Garfield's Circus World Kiddieland - children's rides including flying elephants, Big Top Pony Carts, and Drum Circus
The Lake - Paddle boat (additional fee), lay on the beach, or take a boat ride
Top Spin - ride that spins you around and turns you upside down
Tolley - old-fashioned trolley that takes you through the park
C.P. Huntington Train - train ride that takes you around the park
Wave Swinger - flying swings
Twister - a unique ride where you sit in a sphere-like vehicle and control how much you spin around
Ghost Hunt - compete and see how many ghosts you can shoot
Carousel
Rotor - spin around and watch the floor drop below you
Mini Golf - additional fee
Bumper Cars
Giant Wheel - Ferris Wheel
Pirate Ship

Besides the rides, there are a couple shows that perform daily. These include:

-Chinese Acrobats
-Top Dogs Show
-Yucks For Bucks
-Legends of Magic

There are 12 food/beverage stands throughout the park. And Lake Compounce has this deal with Pepsi where you can get free soda all day long, which will definitely save you a little bit of money.

The admission prices for Lake Compounce are about the same as the prices to get into Six Flags New England (well, maybe a little less), which are pretty high. A discount season pass is 64.95, but that is only if you purchase it early in the summer. The regular price for a season pass is 69.95. It still pays for itself after two visits, but I don't think I would waste my money on one...

Price List
Regular Admission - $28.95
Junior Admission (under 52") - $19.95
Senior Admission (over age 60) - $19.95
3 years and under - Free
Parking - $5.00
Water park included in park admission