Old Town

A visit to old town is always worth it.

Feb 16, 2012

Pros:atmosphere

Cons:food

The Bottom Line: Fun for the whole family at old town

When visiting Orlando, Old town is always on our list of things to do. On nights where you have left one of the local parks after they have closed, Old Town is the perfect, slow paced area to visit. On Saturdays you can enjoy their car show with many locals bringing their gorgeous show cars through the streets for a parade like show. You are up close and able to see the love that these people put into their cars. They are privately owned, and many times, we have walked up to one of them in the parking lots and asked to see the inside or get closer after the show. They are always proud and happy to show their cars off! This is only one of the exciting and unique things that Old town has to offer. With quirky shops like The Pet Palace, The Sock Shop, Candy and Toy Stores, Old town offers something for everyone. You can even have pictures done in a Saloon like setting where everyone can dress up and pose. There are plenty of bars, magic shops and haunted house for your enjoyment. If you so fancy, you can also give the ole' mechanical bull a whirl or pay $5.00 for a shot at getting an I pad 2 out of the giant claw machine!

If you head toward the "amusement" area you will find the Sling shot ride that shots 2 passengers up into the sky, which while I would never have the guts to do, is still thrilling just to watch. You can also find rides such as bumper cars and the more mild, Ferris wheel for those weak stomach riders like myself.

As for the food, I wish there was a better variety as in the other parks, but you can find certain fair-type foods such as cotton candy, hot dogs and candy apples. There is also a couple eatery such as Flippers Pizzeria and Checkers, as well as some ice cream shops for a snack. My best advice as far as food goes, eat before you come. The restaurants they do have are always Loud and packed and not something I would want to even attempt. Since Checkers is directly near the sling shot, which my husband usually rides, we will walk to the front and grab an ice cream cone while we wait for his turn to go up. Another big plus for this place is it is fun for the entire family, including your four legged friends. My husband and I love to bring our dogs with us to Orlando, and getting to bring them out with us is a lot of fun. They must be on a leash, and you must pick up after them, and as of yet i have not found a designated area for the to do their business. However, behind the parking lot, just beyond one of the attached hotels, is a grassy area where there are no restrictions on pets and that is a good private area to bring them.

Old Town is defiantly fun for the entire family. Pricing the rides individually can get expensive. However, they offer wristbands for all day for under $30.00, and they offer different tiers for even cheaper. I never find that we spend too much money, but we also don't come here for the rides. Its the atmosphere and the shops that get us every time.