Wild Waves

Halloween Fright Fest at Wild Waves

Oct 22, 2002 (Updated Oct 25, 2002)

Pros:Local all-around family fun park, convenient location, seasonal activities

Cons:expensive concessions, short operating days, not enough costumed kid-friendly personnel

The Bottom Line: Wholesome, screaming, scary family fun! Wear good walking shoes and abandon the teens at the door, because they will ditch you for the haunted house anyway. Unlimited Halloween rides $20.00!

Get ready for goblins, vampires, the walking dead, screaming meanies and an all around Halloween treat! Fright Fest 2002 is here! Friday 6pm - 10pm, Saturday noon - 11pm, Sunday noon - 8pm. Admission $19.95, $3.00 coupons available at local stores. ( can you say, Safeway? ) Parking is $5.00, free if you still have your seasons parking pass.

If you are a seasons pass holder, you can walk in the door for free (once) on any weekend in October and cruise the carnival circuit on over 20 different rides and a dozen games. Along the way you'll lay down with mummies, get soaked at Lumber Jack Falls, scream your way through a haunted house and maybe become one of the walking dead. There are rides for all ages and abilities.

I took my dad, my 9 yr old daughter, 7 yr old niece, 11 yr old nephew, 9 yr old niece and a neighbor there Oct 19, 2002. We had a ball. At first my 7 yr old niece was not sure, but by the end of the night was wondering when we were all going back! My nephew was tickled just to get wet at night on Lumber Jack Falls, we were glad it was a warm night @61 degrees. The gunny sack slide was a tad slow, it needed waxing, and enough sacks to ride on, but we ran up that steep hill five times anyway. Some of the rides seemed slower than usual, but they were, for once this season, all working at the same time! ( highly unusual for a park that routinely notifies you at the entrance that at least three rides are not in operation today ) We regretted forgetting to bring our refillable pepsi cups that were purchased at the park this summer, being that there were seven of us, because the average cost of a drink is $2.50.

It is a nice treat to have someplace to go that the whole family can enjoy. You are not paying $10.00 to sit in your car and look at decorations, you are participating in the fun. The fresh air is welcome, and the pumpkin patch for the little ones to get a carvable take home treasure for $2.00 is cool. The lines are surprisingly short and the employees pleasant. While the walking dead game will probably scare the younger ones, 7 and under, the teenagers will love it and proudly say "it was nothing, I'm not scared!"