Mt Baw Baw

Haw Haw Baw Baw

Feb 4, 2001

Pros:a cross country skiers paradise

Cons:none

The Bottom Line: A fully operational top class ski resort only an hour and a half from Australia's second biggest city

I know, by now you are thinking what a ridiculous title, and you are right. However, since it got you this far you might as well read on.

Some people have this mental disorder known as, in the Latin, "mustskius" which means several times a year they have this overwhelming desire to travel faster than the Creator dictated, unaided by engines or peripheral equipment.

To satisfy this need for speed some bungee jump, others just jump, but the largest concern are those that go snow skiing.

The snow skier is the major concern since they have lost all feeling in their bodies, and don't even notice the cold. In fact, some will even claim it's warm when the sun comes out!

Around the world there are thousands of so called "resorts" that cater for this malady, and since it is so common lets have a look at one of the best.

Personally speaking, Australia's Mt Baw Baw is a delight in summer, but since winter is the only time to treat "mustskius" we will have a look at proceedings at that time of year.

Thankfully in winter, Mt Baw Baw is ideal for beginners like me, easily the worlds worst skier. The gentle safe runs, internationally qualified ski instructors, very affordable ski hire, ski lessons and lifts all go towards making the essentials for me; they being the chance of survival and not breaking the bank. The Instructors are all expert and friendly, and even I can manage to stand up at times.

And would you believe, the first timer's even have two specially designed lifts.

Spreading over eighty acres of skiing terrain, Mt. Baw Baw offers eight lifts and provides some spectacular scenery. There is easy access to all trails ensuring an easy return to the village. This is not only common sense, but also a great safety feature should the weather demand a quick exit from the slopes.

The Village has great facilities which include a restaurant, take away food, medical centre and two visitor's centres. The medical centre impresses me the most.
Sick of doing a scissors imitation? Even snowboarding is well catered for with natural obstacles and specially prepared jumps for the more experienced. There are no cross country trail fees at Mt Baw Baw. The well- marked and sheltered trails within the Village and across the extensive Baw Baw Plateau area provide excellent skiing for beginners and experts. For the more adventurous skier there is access to the adjoining Mt St Gwinear.

Beginner skiers and boarders, Intermediate skiers and boarders and Advanced skiers and boarders are all separated for safety.

Thankfully Mt Baw Baw is well suited to snowboarding with a variety of runs for beginners and intermediates through to the challenging. Snowboards are a very welcome change for my groin when it can stand no more skiing - the scissors can hurt! Snowboards are available at both on-mountain ski hires and the Ski School has specialist snowboarding instructors

No matter what level you are at, try the cross country trails. Mt Baw Baw is a cross country skiers paradise. There are six miles of sheltered, well marked, groomed trails to suit every level of cross country skier.

And would you believe all this is yours only a hundred miles from Melbourne.

So in all seriousness, what more could we want. A fully operational ski resort only an hour and a half from Australia's second biggest city - and you thought Australia was the land of only Outback deserts and flies!

Level of Experience Needed: All