Dodge Ridge

13 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Very Good

Good for a daytrip instead of weekend

Mar 7, 2001

Pros:less traffic than tahoe, unpretentious people

Cons:not much else around

The Bottom Line: If you're looking to ski, and not the "scene" at Tahoe, try Dodge Ridge for a daytrip to get your alpine fix.

I just took a daytrip up to Dodge Ridge on Saturday from San Francisco. It's about 4 hours away from the bay area and the traffic is non-existent compared to the weekend madness up to Tahoe.

They have 12 lifts and plenty of beginner and advanced slopes. They are somewhat lacking in intermediate slopes, but intermediate skiers may find this the opportunity to try out some of the more difficult slopes.

I had a first-time skier with me during this trip and Dodge Ridge was a good place to go. There are rope tow slopes to the side, away from other people, so beginners won't be intimidated and advanced skiers won't be annoyed!

My one complaint is that it seems that to get to the intermediate slopes, you have to either carry your skis a little ways up, or take the rope tow and ski across to the other lift. That seemed odd and inconvenient to me.

I recommend this as a daytrip only, because there really isn't too much outside of the skiing. There are only a few buildings at the lodge area.

The best thing about Dodge Ridge is the price. It's very reasonable. You can pay for your lift ticket and rentals for about the same price as just a lift ticket at a lot of other places!

Level of Experience Needed: All