Breckenridge

loving breckenridge in "mud season"

Oct 15, 2004

Pros:beautiful location, wonderful town, lots to do and see year-round

Cons:minor things at the resort

The Bottom Line: We loved Breckenridge, and would definitely recommend it for any kind of activity--skiing, shopping, hiking, biking, eating. . .

My husband, 19 mo daughter and I travelled to Breckenridge in early October, which is during "mud season"--in between summer and ski seasons. It is not a peak travel time, and it was obvious--no crowds, lots of special deals around town.

First, let me share the travel experience. We flew into Denver, which is not the state-of-the-art facility it proclaims to be (or used to proclaim when it debuted), but mostly harmless for a large airport. It takes about 15 minutes to even get off airport property, and then it is easily another 20-25 to get to Denver. Anyway, we drove from DIA almost to Breckenridge, when we realized we left our daughter's Kelty carrier at baggage claim. Yes, we are complete idiots! So we turned around, drove back to DIA, got the backpack, and back (again) to Breckenridge. About halfway back, it started to sleet and ice, so cold weather is not completely out of the picture. What should've been a 90 minute trip ended up taking about 5.5 hours, including turning around and battling nasty weather. Ugh.

So arriving in Breck at night, we went straight to our resort--The Beaver Run Resort. We got a chance to explore some the next day, and it is a fairly nice family. We stayed in a 1BR condo--fireplace in the living area, pull out sofa, and fully-stocked kitchen, plus separate BR. I believe each unit is individually owned, and our's was nicely furnished, with a leather La-Z-Boy and a DR table to seat 6. There is a tiny balcony outside sliding doors that overlooked the mountains. The resort also has 2 and 3BR condos, some that are multi-leveled, and some with in-room jacuzzis.

The nice things about the resort: we had great kitchen amenities--ice maker, colander, toaster, tons of dishes, pans, etc. I expected the room to be of cheesier quality, which it was not, but I did see a few rooms with "tropical-like" interiors--lots of teal and peach and bird motifs. That doesn't work in Colorado, folks!!! Other things: the resort has an indoor/outdoor pool which was very small, but fine while we were there, and several outdoor hottubs. There is also a game room with mini golf and lots of video games. In each room are multiple sets of keys to the lockers where guests can store their skis and boots, and the resort is directly located on Peak 9 (if memory serves), and is ski-in/out. Not a big deal during mud season, but great in the winter. Plus you have garage parking that is free for guests.

The down sides of this resort: the hallways and common areas are somewhat dated, with worn carpet and furniture (although the lobby looks recently renovated). The daily cleaning service was terrible. Traveling with a toddler means cheerio crumbs and cracker pieces everywhere you go, which are also provide good barometers of housekeeping (don't come to my house!). Housekeeping actually came 5 of 7 days during our stay (don't know what happened the other 2), but I'm not sure they ever used the vacuum. They replaced some of the towels in the bath and none in the kitchen after day one. Not a huge deal, but it was annoying.

Now let me tell you about the wonderful town: there are tons of great little shops all around Breck, and easily within walking distance of the hotel. There are art galleries, clothing stores, coffee shops and jewelry stores up and down Main St. Within 15 minutes on either side of town are hiking trails, bike paths and parks. I can see why this is a year-round destination--it is beautiful! Keystone and Arapahoe Basin are less than 30 minutes away, and Vail is about an hour or so away. Amazing. . .truly amazing.

Dining: There are some fabulous restaurants, both casual and upscale, in Breckenridge. Let me hit a few of our favorites:

The Blue River Bistro is on North Main, and this is a little more upscale, but were happy to accomodate our semi-grumpy toddler. Every night they have a different preparation of fresh trout, and it was incredible. They had great salads and appetizers too.

Right next door is Daylight Donuts, which is a great place to eat breakfast! The problem we have is that one person in the group wants a "real" breakfast, and the other wants something simple. Luckily and Daylight Donuts, you can easily have both. You can choose from an assortment of humongous, delicious donuts, or you can have a hot meal of (again) humongous pancakes, eggs, omelets, waffles. . .you name it! And these are prices you can't beat! The owner is always around, and the place is run as such. It truly has a family feel to it, or as my husband said, "This is the breakfast equivalent of "Cheers!" You owe it to yourself to try it!

Finally, Salt Creek is a cool pub/lodge feel that serves resasonably priced steaks, BBQ (both highly recommended), and great Fat Tire beer specials on Fridays! Very good, also casual and friendly!

Other places we tried: Extreme Pizza, Breckenridge Brewery, Euro Deli, Mi Casa, and all were quite good.

Level of Experience Needed: All