Massanutten

Mass of Nothing

Dec 30, 2007

Pros:3hrs from home - it wasn't too disappointing when we checked out early.

Cons:This was the absolute worst place we've ever been to.

The Bottom Line: Run away.

We stayed in hotel 4 at a reasonable price with the hopes of sneaking in a ski trip before the year ended, and the real skiing starts in the mid-atlantic in late Jan, early Feb. The hotel was more like a dorm with late night parties and constant noise. Also, anyone could gain access to the hotel (with no front desk) because there was no key swipe located on any of the doors - scary for a remote resort like this. The rooms were old and musty and not very clean.

Three words, "what a disaster!"

First, there was no snow. Not the resort's fault, but it did put a damper on our trip and left us to scramble for things to do with the kids.

Waterpark was pedestrian and overpriced, but kids did have a great time. Buffet was expensive and the food was mostly bad. The arcade was a nightmare with the kids losing money on games that didn't work and with a staff too busy to help us.

Le Club and Woodstone pool areas were completely overrun by unruly kids with apparently no adult supervision. We had to cut short our pool visit for fear of one of our smaller kids getting hurt. We witnessed a fistfight with racial epithets exchanged in the parking lot of LeClub Saturday afternoon (12/29).

My overall impression is that even though Massanutten portrays their resort as upscale, it is decidedly down scale. The clientèle were mostly rude, disruptive and vulgar. We're not prudes, but we constantly found ourselves shooing our kids away from loud, obscene dialogue in almost every area we went to.

Not really a surprise, though, since this is the kind or crowd that Massanutten markets to. We found out that at any given moment there are several hundred families there taking a free 3-day vacations in return for the cheesy timeshare tour. It was clear that most lacked the means to buy and were there just for the freebie. Definitely not the environment we're used to. We actually left 1 1/2 days earlier than we were supposed to and couldn't wait to get home.

Level of Experience Needed: Beginner