Snowshoe

53 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

Best skiing in Southeast

Dec 14, 2000 (Updated Sep 27, 2004)

Pros:Best in the area

Cons:The area is hard to get to

The Bottom Line: Lots of improvements, still the best skiing in the Mid-Atlantic / Southeastern US. But it's becoming too expensive.

As far as Southeast or Mid-Atlantic skiing goes, this is the best resort. I go here at least a few times a year. No one else in the Southeast can compare to Snowshoe’s size or snow quality. Basically there are 2 resorts in one, the main Snowshoe resort and then lower down on the mountain there’s Silvercreek. Lift tickets purchased at either resort are good for the other. The Snowshoe area is upside down in that the village is on top of the slopes instead of the bottom. This is a cool because as soon as you step out of your room you can hit the slopes without waiting in the lift line. And the lines can be long especially in the afternoon. My advice is if you’re skiing Snowshoe ski on the “main” side of the mountain in the morning before it gets crowded. Widow Maker is the longest black diamond slope on this side, but I have always been disappointed by it. Knot Bumper is another black diamond that has a short step section at the top with some moguls, which I enjoy. The blue intermediate runs are usually fairly smooth and flowing. The main side can get slushy due to warm afternoon temps and heavy traffic.

However once afternoon comes around, ski the other side of the mountain. This side only has 2 slopes (Cup Run and Shay’s Revenge), but they are the longest and the best. They are also probably the hardest so only intermediate and above skiers need apply. However even though they are listed as black diamonds they’re not that difficult. However, they probably are the most challenging in the Southeast. Shay’s Revenge usually is the rougher of the 2 and can have some nice sized moguls. When it’s freshly groomed Cup Run is very fast and smooth. The lift here is also new and very fast.

The runs down at Silvercreek are shorter than the Snowshoe runs. You have to drive down to Silvercreek from Snowshoe. There is also a shuttle service that runs back and forth from Silvercreek to Snowshoe. The best thing about Silvercreek is that sometimes it can be less crowed. Also the terrain park at Silvercreek is fun. There is a half-pipe (unfortunately snowboards only) several tabletops, jumps, and ridges. It’s best to hit this in the morning also, as it gets crowded later in the day.

As with most resorts the weekends are the most crowed. But as I have stated earlier it seems that most skiers don’t head out until the afternoon. So ski early.

They are vastly expanding the lodging options and I have yet to stay in some of the newer places. They have remodeled the older dwellings. I usually like to stay at Whistlepunk but there are probably better places now.

As far as après ski there are several good restaurants in the village. The Red Fox is probably the best but the most expensive. Also check out the comedy club. Rob Riley and his comedians are usually pretty funny. Just be sure to get there early. I wouldn’t recommend them for really small kids though. There is a small general store in the village too, don’t shop there. You will pay outrageous prices on everything. It’s best to buy most of your supplies in Marlington. And here is the worst aspect of Snowshoe: it’s in the middle of nowhere. Getting there is a hassle. The roads are small and twisty. I have tried several routes getting there and they are all bad. Expect a long drive no matter where you are coming from, but the drive is worth it. Snowshoe is so much better than any of the resorts in North Carolina, Virginia, or West Virginia that once you go there you won’t want to ski any where else in the Southeast. I think that pretty much sums it up!

2004 UPDATE.

Intrawest [I think that's what they're called] has purchased the place and has really spruced it up since my 2000 review. There's lots of new lodging options that are really nice. However the prices have gone up too. Way up. So, Snowshoe doesn't seem the bargain it once was. Also during the past couple of trips to the 'Shoe I've noticed the staff is less friendly. I don't know if this has anything to do w/ the new owners or what. But some of the staff has been rude. Also, another change is that do they allow skiers in both the terrain parks/pipes now. So that's one change for the better.

Overall, this update doesn't change my overall opinion but just that it is more expensive than it used to be, but it also has better eating/lodge options.