Alamo

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Follow-up: Alamo comes through again

Oct 26, 2000

Pros:Great website

Cons:Some locations are prone to waiting lines

Well, I'm very pleased once again with Alamo.

If you recall my earlier opinions, I said I reserved a full-size car for a weekly rate of $119. I got it no problem, almost exactly as quoted.

FYI, this rental was at Sea-Tac Airport in Seattle, WA.

They gave me a nice, new Buick Century, immaculately clean and in perfect shape. The bottom line with taxes and fees was $156.56. The original quote at the online reservation was for $156.14. The $.42 difference was for a recoupment fee of $.35 for my 250 FF miles (US Airways Dividend Miles), and a $.07 tax on the recoupment fee. The Alamo website does document this: "Alamo collects a Frequent Flyer Tax Recoupment Surcharge to cover the federal tax on the cost of the miles awarded at time of rental." Forty-two cents ain't bad for 250 FF miles on a bargain car rental!

I've recently been hearing complaints (in the www.frommer.com daily e-newsletter) about Avis jacking up prices when cars are returned, all kinds of previously unmentioned fees. Never had that problem with Alamo, especially with their printed website confirmation page in hand.

So, once again I have to give Alamo high marks. Again, don't forget to go through the www.goalamo.com website and check rates weekly. These rates were obtained through their Hot Deals > Internet Rates program.

Good luck!