Enterprise

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Enterprise Car Rental: Great Prices, Great Service - I値l Use Them Again!

Mar 12, 2004

Pros:many locations, great rates, pleasant representatives

Cons:locations only a few miles apart can vary greatly in rates

The Bottom Line: Next time I need to rent a car for any reason, I'll use Enterprise!

MY EXPERIENCE

When I needed a car for a week due to my minivan having to go in for warranty repairs, I compared prices online and eventually reserved a car through the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Website. This was on a Saturday morning, and I was looking to pick up the car at 8:30 two days later, on Monday morning.

I looked at the location of the dealership where I would be leaving my minivan, and compared it to the location of the Enterprise Car Rental office. On the map, they looked close together - maybe only three blocks - so I didn’t call the office at the number provided when I reserved online and arrange for a pick-up. However, if I had chosen to do so, Enterprise would have sent someone to meet me at the appointed time at the dealership and brought me to the rental office. Unfortunately, when I arrived at the dealership, I realized it was three very long blocks, and got the dealership to give me a ride.

As soon as I arrived at the office, there was a customer service agent outside next to a gray/silver car. I had made the reservation for 8:30 AM and it was just that time. He pointed to the vehicle, asking if that’s what I was there for and I nodded.

Once inside, the representatives were quite friendly. They introduced themselves and shook my hand. The bulk of my paperwork was filled out online, so other than taking a copy of my driver’s license, there was little for them to do. My husband needs his license for work, but I wanted him on the rental agreement, so the representative told me I could just fax them a copy of his license and ask them to add him and it would be no problem. A lien of $250 was put on my Visa credit card - Enterprise discourages the use of debit cards for rentals.

There was also no hard-sell on the additional insurance most car rental companies try to get you to buy. I told them I had a policy with GEICO that covers it, and that was fine. The representative asked if I had the poicy number handy, but when I didn’t it was no problem.

I was pleased to find out I had received one car class upgrade. I had asked for a full size car and received a premium one instead. The car they gave me was a 2004 Buick LeSabre with just 550 miles on it. The representative took me outside and together we went over the vehicle to indicate any damage there might me. It was in perfect condition and quite clean as well. I drove off and was to work in almost the same time it normally takes me to get there - there was literally no hassle involved, something I was initially worried about renting the car on a Monday morning and having to get to work.

When I brought the car back on Saturday morning, again there was no hassle. The representatives inside introduced themselves again quite courteously and inquired if I was satisfied with both the rental and the service I’d received at the agency. I was very happy with both, and I would choose Enterprise again. The gas tank had been at 3/8 when I picked up the vehicle. My husband had driven the car the night before, and the tank was now on 1/4. I had been told that the charge was $5 per 1/8 of a tank below what I left with, but the representative just marked down that I had returned it with the same amount! He also made sure I hadn’t left anything in the car, and I wasn’t surprised when he popped a CD out of the CD player. I knew I was going to forget that!

INFORMATION ABOUT ENTERPRISE

Enterprise rents cars in eleven different classes:

Economy which is a Chevy Metro or similar

Minivan which is a Dodge Caravan, Pontiac Montana or similar

Sport Utility which is a Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy or similar

Pickup Truck which is a Chevy S-10, Dodge Dakota or similar

Cargo Van which is a GM Express, Ford Econoline or similar

I found the rates at Enterprise to be the best when comparing them to other major car rental companies. Rates vary greatly by location. By comparing the rental rates at the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Website between various locations, I was able to save quite a bit ($65) by going to a rental office only five miles away from the rental office which was closest to my house. There are over 4,400 locations in the United States and hundreds more in countries such as Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, and Germany, so comparing rates between locations is very easy. The only time this may not be feasible is at an airport location.

Renting from Enterprise is very easy. It can be done through the Enterprise Rent-A-Car Website, by calling the toll free number: 1-800-736-8222 or you can walk into any location and rent directly from the counter (although this will probably take a bit longer than if you make a reservation ahead of time). I recommend using the website - if you’ve gotten to this review then you can do it!

I highly recommend using Enterprise for any car rental needs.