Hertz

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Surprise--extra day's charge on my credit card!

Jul 18, 2013

Pros:Smile while they take your money

Cons:Inflated rates, hidden charges, no communication or warning of changes or charges

The Bottom Line: Use the competition--or brace yourself for bonus and bogus credit card charges!

Just got screwed out of $116.36 for an "extra day" of rental on a car that I had rented for 9 days at $256.62.  Yes--that's an extra 45% charge for one day compared to my bill for an entire nine days.

I made two bookings on Hotwire for the Hertz location at the Rapid City airport in SD--one for an SUV for the first several days of our trip while our party would be five people, and the second for a full-size car for the remaining nine days after our party shrank to two people.

Apparently I returned the SUV and picked up the car a couple hours earlier than planned when taking family to the airport, therefore, when I returned the car at the time I originally planned for, those extra two hours got translated into an extra day.  And because they consider that time outside the rate that Hotwire secured for me, they were only too happy to charge me a full $90/day.

I've rented cars for years from Hertz and other agencies and never been treated to this before.  The agents said nothing to me about any changes to my terms or any charges at pick up or return.  The charge for $116.36 just showed up several days after my trip had ended.  I made two phone calls to the agency to dispute the charge, but apparently they want to screw me over this and don't care about my repeat business.

I return to the Hills every year for at least two weeks to visit my family as I'm originally from the area and always rent cars for my trips.  This trip I rented the SUV for $444.89 and the car for $256.62.

So take that last $116.36 from me, Hertz of Rapid City, and enjoy it. This is the last time I will use Hertz--here or anywhere.