National

127 consumer reviews

National Rental Car says no debit cards, no exceptions

Jun 6, 2006

Pros:Nice cars

Cons:See above!

The Bottom Line: My final recommendation is to never ASSUME anything, always telephone if any doubt.

I live in Virginia and booked a National rental online in Boston in order to help my cousin drive to Virginia where she is relocating. There was wording online about how they will only take a debit card if there is a return airline ticket. But underneath all the wording was "Exceptions BOSTON INTL ARPT"
That led me to believe that they would waive the return ticket requirement since I would be turning it back in in Virginia.
Not! The clerk on duty, her supervisor and her supervisor's supervisor would make no exceptions--they explained if the car wasn't returned (meaning if I should steal it), the debit card would not cover the cost of the car but a credit card would. Of course I didn't have the paper with me that noted an exception at Boston airport.
Do they have that much trouble with thievery that they must punish all people with debit cards? Can't they make a judgment call(I am a fairly well-spoken, 60-year old female with no criminal background)?
Fortunately I was able to rent a car at Budget and soon got on my way.
I will never rent from National, even when I have a return ticket!

Ads by Google