Rent-A-Wreck

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Drive this Wreck to the Junk Yard

Dec 4, 2000

Pros:luxery cars

Cons:the cars are old and have problems, poor customer service

When I went to Arizona to visit my high school buddy, we needed to rent a car since his was in the shop. My friend had rented from Rent-a-Wreck before and had good luck.

Well, we ended up getting a Lincoln Continental because that was the only car they had left. I thought,"This is a great. I've always wanted to drive a Lincoln." Well, that was the last time I had that thought. We had the car for about a week and it was almost more than I could take.

The first thing that was bad about the car was that it was about 10 years old. It was a 1991 model. I have nothing against older cars, but I would have expected something newer from a rental agency.

It's interior wasn't in the best condition. The leather seats were cracking and were more like noga hide. Also, the interior stunk like cat urine. I hate to be so graphic, but we had to drive with the windows open all the time.

There were a few things that also didn't work. The air conditioning blew out warm air. At first the radio didn't work, but after I got it working, it wouldn't turn off! I couldn't believe it. This sounds like something out of a cheap B movie, but its true! The next day I just pushed the power button on the radio as hard as I could and was able to turn it off. Needless to say, I didn't try to turn it on again.

The worse part of the experience came when we were driving from Tucson to Phoenix. We were right in the middle of the desert when the service engine light comes on. We had no idea what to do. There was no place to stop, we didn't have a cel. phone, and it was at night, so nobody would have been at the rental shop to come pick us up. Well, we decided just to keep driving and to see what happens. We ended up making it there and all the way back with the light on.

We dropped off the car the next day and we told them everything that happened and Rent-a-Wreck would not do a thing. They wouldn't even give us a discount.

I will never use Rent-a-Wreck again. If you do, please check your car over before you drive it.