It's a Small World

The truth is; it is small after all

Oct 8, 2010 (Updated Oct 8, 2010)

Pros:Cute, happy, colorful, elaborate, costumes, animatronics dolls, décor, sets, 100-countries, uplifting, and for all ages.

Cons:The song is cute but it plays for 15 minutes, a tiny bit dull.

The Bottom Line:

It’s a small world features seven rooms and hundreds of audio-animatronics dolls depicting dancing children from around the world. It’s a classic simple and happy ride for all ages.

It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, it's a small world after all. It's a small, small world. So there; the world ain't big. Get it?

This past summer we visited Disney World and Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida, as a family. It was my sixth time at Disney World. I've taken the "It's a small world" ride at Magic Kingdom almost every time, and this time I rode on it twice. It is an old classic that still entertains.

It's a small ride

The "it's a small world" ride is located in Fantasy Land in Magic Kingdom, Disney World. I should say I've seen the one at Disney Land as well but it was less recent. When we were here last summer the lines were not bad, about 10 minutes. I guess that a lot of people have taken the ride already, and it is a classic and not a "new hot ride".

You sit down in small boats that take you along a lazy river and in through a tunnel and through seven large colorful rooms. Each room is filled with beautiful colorful or sparkling buildings, plazas, as well as city and village scenes, towers, animatronics animals, plants, and dancing beautifully dressed dolls depicting children from around the world. There are 300 dolls representing 100 countries. The seven rooms are Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America, the South Seas, North America, and a Finale room where all the cultures are represented but dressed in white. The song is mostly sung in English but also other in languages.

This is how it begins

It's a world of laughter, a world or tears
It's a world of hopes, it's a world of fear
There's so much that we share
That it's time we're aware

And this is the chorus

It's a small world after all
It's a small, small world

There are more verses and the chorus is repeated over and over. When you're done you've heard that the world is small hundreds of times so you better believe it.

The ride lasts about 15 minutes. I can add that this ride is open to children of all ages and it is handicap friendly.

Our "it's a small world" experience and feelings

I think that most people who take the "It's a small world ride" for the first time find it enjoyable. I remember when my parents from Sweden visited us when we had just gotten married. They took the time to travel a little bit in the US and they visited Disney World among other places. My mother loved this ride. It was her favorite ride at Disney World.

Others feel that, the fact that they are continuously singing the same song throughout the ride, "it's a small world", becomes annoying and even creepy after a while. I can understand this sentiment and I agree that it can become too much after a while. However, I still enjoy the ride. The way I feel is that the combination of hundreds of audio-animatronics dancing children dolls representing countries from all around the world and the beautifully brightly decorated rooms is a feast for the eye and it is impressive and uplifting. The ride is also relaxing and simple fun entertainment for all ages. I don't think this ride was meant for riding lots of times so one needs to take that into account. If you do ride it multiple times you may get brain washed into thinking that you can fit the world under your bed.

I should say that "it's a small world" is not a thrill ride and it does not feature modern special effects as many other modern rides and shows do at Disney World and Universal Studios. It is a "classic ride" by all means. As such, some people, especially teenagers may find it somewhat corny and perhaps boring. On the other hand, if you just want to relax, be entertained, look at something beautiful, then this ride is for you. It is not the best ride at Disney World or Magic Kingdom but it is one of the better classic rides, and as such I'll give it four stars.

I am submitting this review to Carstaisr38's Third Annual All Things Disney Write-Off as well as my Save Travel or Rest-In-Peace Travel Write Off.

Best Suited For: Families