-87%
Two of a Kind (DVD, 2004) Reviews

Two of a Kind (DVD, 2004)

Epinions Product Rating: OK

+$4.97 shipping Walmart.com

John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John Together Again

Jul 28, 2010

Pros:surprisingly watchable; John Travolta and Olivia Newton John reunite; acting

Cons:a couple of things

The Bottom Line:

Two Of A Kind reunites John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John

Plot Summary
Two Of A Kind is a fantasy/romance movie about four angels named Charlie (Charles Durning), Gonzales (Castulo Guerra), Ruth (Beatrice Straight), and Earl (Scatman Crothers) who try to convince God (voiced by Gene Hackman) to give the human race another chance.  God has lost faith in people and wants to bring everyone up to Heaven and start all over.  The angles convince God that there is still love in the world.  They use two people to convince God that love still exists.  The two people they use are Zack and Debbie.  Zack (John Travolta) is an inventor who resorts to robbing a bank in order to pay back a loan shark named Stuart (Richard Bright).  Debbie (Olivia Newton-John) is a bank teller at the bank that Zack robs.  She’a also an aspiring actress who is not innocent.

God gives the angles seven days to convince him that Zack and Debbie will fall in love with each other.  Standing in their way is the Devil named Beasley (Oliver Reed) who wants the people to stay on Earth so he can have them at some point.  Will the angels be able to save the world through Zack and Debbie?  Will God send everyone up to heaven or will Beasley get his way?

My review
I wanted to see this movie because I saw John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John in Grease.  I wanted to see if lightning would strike again.  Since part of the plot is about God taking people up to Heaven and starting the world over, this could have been a disaster.  This type of plot is not my cup of tea.  I continued to watch it because I was intrigued by the romance part of the movie.  From the way Zack and Debbie met, I was curious to see if they would get together.  The romance between Zack and Debbie is what makes the movie surprisingly watchable.  It was interesting to watch their relationship develop because you could tell that they were attracted to each other even when he robbed her window at the bank.

The best part of Two Of A Kind was John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John reuniting.  They did great jobs in Grease, which would lead to the inevitable comparisons between the two movies.  Grease was a much better movie in my opinion, but they do make this movie watchable.  What I liked about them choosing these characters to play was the fact that they played characters different from the ones in Grease.  In Grease, John Travolta is a high school gang leader.  In this movie, he is an inventor who is in trouble with a loan shark.  In Grease, Olivia Newton-John plays a high school student who is as sweet as pie.  In this movie, she is a bank teller who has trouble paying her bills.  She’s also a struggling actress trying to find the perfect role.  This character was completely different from Sandy in Grease.  In this movie, she’s a flawed character, which is a good thing.  It’s better that they chose to step outside of the box with these characters.  They could have taken the easy way out and played the same characters, but they didn’t do that.

Another good thing about John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John reuniting is that they still had great chemistry with each other.  They made just as good a couple in this movie playing adults as they did when they played teenagers.  Zack and Debbie were a couple that I wanted to see get together despite the way they met.

The acting in the movie was pretty good considering the plot.  Oliver Reed did a great job as the Devil.  He was smarmy and evil.  Richard Bright did a great job as the loan shark.  Charles Durning did a great job as the main angel.  The other angels were good too, but they weren’t in the movie as much as Charles Durning.  In my opinion, John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John did the best performances in the movie.  They did a great carrying the movie.

A couple of things bothered me about the movie.  One of the things is the fantasy element of the plot.  This half of the movie makes it unique, but it’s ridiculous.  The idea of God trying to start the world all over again is ludicrous.  Beasley and the angels walk around New York City as if it were normal.  If that weren’t enough, Charlie and Beasley rewind and fast forward scenes when they start fighting.  These scenes are a waste of screen time and add nothing to the movie.  If the movie were about Zack and Debbie meeting and falling in love, the movie would have been much better.  I didn’t mind seeing the loan shark going after Zack because it gives Zack and Debbie an obstacle to overcome.  That would have been more realistic than the Devil and angels working against each other to save the world.

My other problem with this movie is that a couple of characters are butchered for no reason.  First, God comes off as evil for wanting to destroy mankind.  God is supposed to be the good one, but He appears to be the bad guy.  The Devil seems more decent than God.  Beasley even has a moment where he comes off like the hero.  I won’t spoil it because it affects the ending.  God seems pretty stubborn when the angels want more time to get Zack and Debbie together.  If you believe in God, then you know He is loving, but you would never know that from watching this.

The other character that is made out to be the bad guy is the loan shark.  Zack gets money from him to finish his inventions, but he fails to pay him back.  Zack goes out of his way to avoid him and that only makes the loan shark upset.  The loan shark had a right to want his money back, but he still looks like the bad guy for expecting Zack to pay the money back.  Zack knew the risk of borrowing from a loan shark so he should have made sure to pay him back.  To add another nail in the loan shark’s coffin, he put a gun to Debbie in order to get his money.  The writers didn’t want us to root for the loan shark at all which is why Beasley approaches him while the angels approach Zack.

In conclusion
Two Of A Kind was a watchable movie.  The romance between Zack and Debbie is the best part.  I could have lived without seeing the fantasy half, but I still enjoyed the movie.  The best reason to watch is to see John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John reunite.  I recommend it.

My rating
I give Two Of A Kind 2 ½ stars.  It gets the stars for the stars of the movie and the romantic half of the plot.  It loses 2 ½ stars for the fantasy half of the plot.

After striking box office gold in GREASE, John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John reteamed five years later for this romantic comedy. God throws his hand...