Umarex SA177 - 2252100 Reviews

Umarex SA177 - 2252100

A GLOCK FOR CHRISTMAS? Umarex SA177 review

Dec 10, 2011

Pros:Great GLOCK look and feel.  Blowback action is cool! GREAT PRICE!

Cons:trigger is too heavy for rapid firing!

The Bottom Line: If you want a Glock 9mm replica without the huge costs, consider the Umarex SA177. It's a great gun and offers indoor/outdoor shooting fun!

The Glock 17  9mm is my absolute favorite handgun.  Even though most of my friends who’ve gone shooting with me prefer the Desert Eagle .44 and .50, I found it ridiculously large.  I do not have small hands. I’m a big guy and my hands are huge, but, I found the Desert Eagle to be far too cumbersome a weapon. People who play too many video games and have never handled a firearm are led to believe it is easy to shoot.   The Glock 17 9mm is easier to sight in, holds more rounds and has a much lighter recoil – making follow up shots a snap.

Thanks to American owned company, UMAREX,  you can now own a BB gun replica of the Glock 17 which looks, feels and functions much like the real thing.   A real Glock weighs about  3lbs. The Umarex SA177 clocks in at about  2.2lbs which is a close match to one of the smaller caliber Glocks, but, you’ll never notice.  The gun features a metal blowback slide which slaps back with each shot. Thanks to the loose feeling of the components, you won’t ever mistake the SA177 for anything but a quality handgun.

SHOOTING

The gun comes with a fixed rear sight and a fiber optic glow sight up front.  As BB’s never get high accuracy or precision, I found this setup to be acceptable since the targets you’d most likely be using are bottles or paper targets at a 10 ~ 15 meter distance.

The SA177 comes with a 16-round BB clip which it will fire through its smooth bore barrel.  It doesn’t fire pellets and unlike break barrel guns such as my old Crosman ‘Auto Air II’, it can’t use pellets at all.  More clips are available for $15 a piece to keep the shooting fun going longer, but, you won’t get more than 45 strong shots using the standard 12-gram CO2 Powerlet.    I chronographed this gun to check it’s muzzle velocity using a Chrony F-1. It promises muzzle velocities around 410 feet per second. The initial shots approached 430, and 10 shots later velocity was down to about 385fps  for  30 consecutive shots.  The fall off is due to the gas pressure relieving itself.

DISAPPOINTMENTS?

I had one major problem with this gun.   The trigger pull is very heavy and this makes it difficult to fire the pistol quickly.  You have to pull all the way back – an effort of about 4~5lb-ft.  It’s almost as heavy as older rifles I’ve used, and I  expected it to be lighter after having using other Umarex guns.

On a lesser note, the slide locks into the “open position” when you’ve fired the last shot – letting you know you need to reload. Thing is, the slide in the locked back position does not keep you from firing the gun despite it being empty.  Obviously this is because the slide mechanism in a blowback BB gun isn’t connected to a firing pin like in a real gun.

OVERALL

The Umarex SA177 is a great gun. For its sub $70 asking price,  it not only offers great looks, but, great functionality. Blowback slide guns are typically more expensive and less powerful than their mundane counterparts. It’s actually nice knowing that Umarex can put together a great looking pistol that functions like a big boy and doesn’t cost a fortune. I’ll anxiously be awaiting Umarex’s M4a1 replica.

Umarex Usa Tactical Pro Flashlight - Black - Xenon Bulb - Aluminum Construction

Umarex Usa Tactical Pro Flashlight - Black - Xenon Bulb - Aluminum Construction

jhoiland store Umarex USA Tactical Pro Flashlight - Black - Xenon Bulb - Aluminum Construction If you are in the market for an affordable weapons moun...

Umarex Usa 2252401 Walther Mgl300 Flashlight - Ships Today

Umarex Usa 2252401 Walther Mgl300 Flashlight - Ships Today

Manufacturer: Umarex USA Walther MGL Flashlight 300 Manufacture ID: 2252401 Umarex Walther MGL300 Flashlight Features:- 150 Lumen brightness - One AA ...

Umarex Walther Xenon Tac Flashlight 2252516

Umarex Walther Xenon Tac Flashlight 2252516

Ultimate-Bargain-Cave Search: Search Book Mark Us Join Our Newsletter Ending Soon Auction On Sale eBay Store About Us All Items F.A.Q.'s Feedback Cont...