Vivitar DVR DVR 410 8 MB Camcorder - Black Reviews

Vivitar DVR DVR 410 8 MB Camcorder - Black

Free Shipping Sears Marketplace

Vivitar DVR 410 Flash Media Camcorder is Great for the Youngsters

May 11, 2012

Pros:Compact size; Easy to figure out; Decent sound; Dirt cheap price

Cons:Pictures and videos not very sharp; Have to buy a memory card; Very limited

The Bottom Line:

This is a good camcorder for kids, but it has amateur written all over it and isn't good enough for most adults.

Are you looking for an inexpensive means for making your own video recordings? There are a few less costly options, but if your budget is really tight and your intended recipient is an amateur and/or under the age of 12, then a good option is the Vivitar DVR 410 Flash Media Camcorder.

Camcorder Facts and Figures:

The Vivitar DVR 410 Flash Media Camcorder is a small, handheld camcorder not much larger than a large size cell phone. The picture resolution of this camcorder is 8.1 megapixels with digital video resolution of 640 x 480 pixels/ 320 x 240 pixels and digital photo resolution of 1280 x 1024 pixels/640 x 480 pixels . The camera offers 4x digital zoom, 24 bit RBG color, and a 10 second self timer. The screen flips out, 180 degrees, for an easy to execute self- portrait.

Vivitar made this camcorder small in size with dimensions of approximately 4.5 inches in length, 2.5 inches in width, and 1 inch in thickness. The screen measures 1.8 inches and the device operates on 3 AAA batteries. A USB connector makes it possible to hook the camera up to a computer and transfer pictures and the device comes with a one- year warranty.

Final Thoughts:

The Vivitar DVR 410 Flash Media Camcorder is a small, very inexpensive camcorder for taking videos or still pictures. It is compact in size and very different from the camcorders of fifteen or so years ago, which were multiple times larger and cost about 20 or 30 times more.

Electronics have definitely changed over the past decade or two (understatement of the day!) and they continue to not only improve, but also to offer more for less money and in more convenient sizes. I can remember the first camcorder I ever used- it was about twelve inches in length, weighed several pounds, and sold for about $700. Back then, a camcorder was considered a luxury device, but camcorders and cameras in general are now so inexpensive that anyone can own one, including little kids who, in the past, would have been left out of electronics gift considerations completely due to the price.

With the Vivitar DVR 410 Flash Media Camcorder, interested buyers now have a camcorder so inexpensive that anyone can afford it and so simple to use that anyone can learn. I purchased a pair of these camcorders back in November, as part of a Black Friday special. The cost of this camcorder is already cheap (around $25 to $30), but during this particular sale, they were being offered for only $15 with a $5 mail in rebate. With a price that low, I figured I had nothing to lose. Even if my girls didn’t like them very much or they broke after a short amount of usage, it wouldn’t matter because I paid such a low price.

Taken out of the box and examined, the feature that stands out with the Vivitar DVR 410 Flash Media Camcorder is its small size. I can’t help but think back to the big, bulky camcorders of the past and how far the electronics industry has come in such a short time. There is certainly a lot of ability packed into such a small space and the compact size is a nice advantage. The device is small enough to fit into a shirt pocket where it can be quickly accessed when a photo opportunity presents itself. It does seem to be rather cheaply made with mostly plastic parts, but it is also very simple with so few buttons that most anyone can figure it out, without the aid of a manual or anything else.

Regardless of durability issues, lack of features, etc., I knew that my girls would love having their own video camera and I was proven correct, as these cameras became one of their top three favorite gifts this past Christmas. They love taking their cameras, creating their own “movies” and, taking their own pictures, then transferring them to mom or dad’s computer via the USB connector. They giggle and have a grand old time as they take their own picture, listen to their own voices, and otherwise pretend to be movie makers/directors on a quest to make the perfect film.

It is great that my girls like their Vivitar DVR 410 Flash Media Camcorder so much but from an adult perspective, these little electronic devices are very limited. The picture quality is only average and even with a steady hand, the images are not that sharp. And the features are very few. Sure, you can zoom or set a timer, but other than these few abilities, there isn’t much you can do with the Vivitar DVR 410 Flash Media Camcorder. And buyers should know that the cameras come without any built- in memory, so you have to purchase a memory card- not to mention 3 AAA batteries- before you can take your first pictures or videos.

With so many limited abilities, many might wonder why anyone would purchase the Vivitar DVR 410 Flash Media Camcorder. Comparing this camcorder to the camera and video on my smartphone, I can say that the latter is better and since my cell phone is instantly accessible and only slightly smaller than this camcorder, it is equally if not more convenient. So, why would anyone buy this Vivitar camcorder? Well, from an adult perspective, there really is no reason to own this. The pictures and videos are average at best and there is little that can be done to improve the photographic experience. But there is one good reason to buy, and that is for introducing kids to the hobby/art of photography. The limited features and simplicity of this camcorder are just right for youngsters and if they are anything like my girls, they will absolutely love having their own grown- up picture taking device.

Camcorders have come a long way and the Vivitar DVR 410 Flash Media Camcorder is about as extreme as you can get in terms of price and limited abilities. It’s a notch above a kid’s toy camcorder and priced accordingly, so don’t purchase this if you want an even slightly professional means to take pictures and create videos. It is a camcorder intended for the kids and as long as you keep that in mind and purchase it only for recipients under the age of 12, the photographic experience should be a happy one for all involved.

Built in Microphone1.8 TFT color 180 Swivel LCDVivitar Experience Image Software for Editing IncludedA/V Port and USB Connector