We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll by Black Sabbath (Warner Bros.)

Come to the Black Mass!

Nov 14, 2005

Pros:This is where Heavy Metal began!

Cons:NONE!

The Bottom Line: Black Sabbath are The Alpha and The Omega of Heavy Metal and this album proves why.

I bought this album at Best Buy for $21.66 on February 18, 2001. I was 14 years old. I will never forget the feeling I had when I heard the opening chords to 'Black Sabbath' for the first time. My first reaction was "This is something out of the ordinary." words could not describe the my first thoughts of Black Sabbath. Gloomy, dismal,satanic, hostile, foreboding, baleful any word of sorrow you can think of, that's what it sounded like. I felt that Sabbath was speaking to me. I was in 8th grade at the time and going through some tough times at school. People wanted to start fights with me, I was ridiculed for the way I talked and what I liked. At that moment in time I needed something to latch onto, something that would give bring me comfort in those turbulent adolescent years and Black Sabbath was just what the doctor ordered.

We Sold Our Soul For Rock n Roll.. hell Black Sabbath in general was the soundtrack for my adolescence and still is to this day. When I was angry, bitter,cynical, confrontational, or just felt the urge to bang my head, Sabbath was there.

Black Sabbath are the very first heavy metal band. End of discussion. You can talk about how grandiose and crushing Led Zeppelin were, but they still could not hold a candle to the brilliance of Sabbath. Black Sabbath were from the street. they were four guys that were living in a troubled world and wrote about it. It was cynical social commentary. When you listen to Sab, you don't expect to hear songs about being dazed and confused or communication breakdowns with some chick,instead you hear brutally honest songs on topics few people dare talk about. Satanism, drug addiction, war, greed, death, disillusionment, these are the topics that are up for discussion on Sabbath's agenda and if you don't like it, then go somewhere else. Sabbath were speaking the truth, and the truth is where its at.

We Sold Our Soul is a best of compilation of Sabbath material starting from their self titled debut album in 1970 to the Sabotage album released in 1975. There are 17 songs on the album altogether. Now without further delay let's get into em a bit shall we?
DISC ONE
Black Sabbath- This is it boys and girls. The song that spawned an entire subgenre. 6 minutes of Satanic ectasy. The song opens with a church bell and rain in the background and 39 seconds in DUH DUH DUHHHHH! Oh God what have we gotten ourselves into?

The Wizard- Who says harmonica ain't metal? A song about wizard that cheers up the local townsfolk wizard is simply astonishing. Just listen to the riff and you'll hear what I'm talkin about.

Warning- Blues for the diabolist. This 10 minute jam showcases some of Tony Iommi's finest guitar playing. In fact Guitar World called it his essential work in their March 2004 issue.

Paranoid- This is quite possibly Sab's most popular song. A 2:50 second song of being bored and alienated. Sounds an awful lot like punk doesn't it? Ya know it's ironic that a song intended as filler would serve as the blueprint for a musical genre. Hell, I guess in a way Sabbath are one of the forefathers of punk. Thats two genres they're responsible for.

War Pigs- A classic protest song. I wont talk about this tune to much as many people have talked about it numerous times, but I will say that 35 years later this song holds just as much relevance now, as it did back in 1970. Now this is a song that has staying power.

Iron Man- The song that me into Sabbath. Gosh, Iron Man is so metal its scary. It features one of the most recognizable riffs of all time for Christ sake. The song deals with a man that has a vision of the Apocalypse tries to warn everyone and is mocked, and laughed at. This angers him and in a cruel ironic twist it turns out that it is he that brings about the world's destruction.

Wicked World- As I stated earlier, Sabbath were writing about the real world. A world of disease, hunger, war, ignorance, and fatherless children. Listen to the guitar solo by Iommi in this song. If that's not early shred, I dont know what is.

DISC TWO
Tomorrow's Dream- Psychedelic Heavy Metal from 1972. Listen to Down, Crowbar, Pantera, COC, and Eyehategod and then listen to this song. I wonder where they got their sound from? hehe. Gotta love Sludge Metal!

Faires Wear Boots- Blues baby, its all about the blues. Ozzy sings of a bad acid trip and Tony, Geezer and Bill play it like their tripped out. Damn this song is good.

Changes- A sorrowful ballad of a failed relationship. Nothing more nothing less. Beautiful piano playing complements of Iommi.

Sweet Leaf- BEHOLD! The Birth of Stoner Metal! Sabbath pay tribute to the Leaf and have no remorse. Good groove and good lyrics (I dont smoke pot but by watchin my buddies I can tell that the lyrics are pretty accurate).

Children of the Grave- Ya say ya wanna Revolution? Well you better fight the powers that be before they bring about a Nuclear Holocaust! This song is all about rebellion and changing the world in a time of chaos. The galloping rythm of the song perfectly complements the theme of urgency in the song. It's like a race against a time between the forces of light and darkness. Who will prevail?

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath- I remember reading on Black Sabbath Online that this song is about the execution of a soul. And it feels that way too. This song brings about a feeling of hopelessness and isolation. As far as the music goes, listen to the final riff at the end. Bone crunchingly heavy and has been copied by bands from every subgenre in metal.

Am I Going Insane- This is the only filler song on the album. Its not bad, but I felt that they could have picked a better song.

Laguana Sunrise- A beautiful Spanish instrumental. Tranquil and relaxing.

Snowblind- A song about cocaine addiction. After hearing this I was like Master of What? When you listen to this song,its obvious that Metallica used the pattern of the song for Master of Puppets. It starts out mid-paced and somewhat upbeat and then seagues into a depressing melody and a tear jerking guitar solo, afterwards there is the I'm a fool but Im cool part of the song and finally we have the somewhat happy conclusion. An amazing song that will make you think twice about trying drugs. Primarily cocaine.

NIB- The Final song on the album is actually a love song... about the DEVIL. The tune is told from the perspective of Lucifer and the gifts he will bring to the lady that takes his hand. Well ladies, at least you know he aint lying!

Final Words: BUY THIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!

We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll

We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll

Product Description Certified at 3 million units by the RIAA. (2/01) SKU: ADIB000002KGA
We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'n' Roll - Black Sabbath

We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'n' Roll - Black Sabbath

2 LPs on 1 CD. The CD omits two tracks (Warning and Laguna Sunrise) from the original 2-LP set.Black Sabbath: Ozzy Osbourne (vocals); Tony Iommi (guit...

Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock N Roll- New/sealed Vinyl Double Lp

Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock N Roll- New/sealed Vinyl Double Lp

Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'n' [cd New]

Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'n' [cd New]

We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'n' Roll By Black Sabbath (vinyl 2013, 2 Lps)

We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'n' Roll By Black Sabbath (vinyl 2013, 2 Lps)

- Black Sabbath We Sold Our Soul For Rock ā€˜nā€™ Roll - 12 Vinyl Greatest Hits